w/ "live" sighting camera

Name:  c-clamp-&-robot-4.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  188.5 KB

Clamped in place!

Name:  c-clamp-&-robot-5.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  376.2 KB

and found a place to mount it in the tree. It's a bit of a tight fit ... the 90mm w/ its shield just clears the tree trunk, as it rotates and tilts ... but, hey ... all for the state of the art, right?

I did not get a chance to hook it all up ... as it is raining here, today ... and the weather is getting worse with high winds, also.

@ 'Rooz'
    : This kind of what you had in mind, mate?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol thats feakin insane. i cant stop laughing man. i've seen alot of strange things in photograpy but this is off the damn chart.

what would i use this sort of thing for ? hmmm...

put it next to a wasp nest, or an ant nest with tubes, or next to some flowers where bees come in. none of those bugs are paritcualrly skittish. the main issue you will have will be the tamron 90mm cos its loud and it extends when focussing which may scare alot of bugs/birds off.

for birds, i'd stick it right up close to the bird feeder. like within 3 meters of it. it will take some patientce but you could get awesome shots that would be impossible to get if you were handholding that close. remote strobes set up on either side...

thats the sort of stuff you just cant really get easily so thats VERY appealing to me. i personally dont seet he point of going to all that expense and effort to still shoot at 500mm with pretty average quality shots. for that setup you;d be wanting incredibley good quality images.

just thinking of where i could put that in my yard to catch little critters...the possibilities...its making me giddy. i wish i was so mechanically inclined.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

"Black Box" vs the "old way"

Well, short of a precision machining mill (which I desperately would love to have), I have just about all the stuff you need to fashion a lot of stuff from raw materials. It's a nice option, when you cannot buy something or it is ridiculously priced. Just grab a block of material and get modifying. An age old art ... losing ground with all these "black box" replacement kids we now have in the world. Takes the smile right off my face. If you cannot buy it ... apparently, it cannot be done, in their minds.

This was a relatively easy exercise of assembly, but no less challenging and fun.

When you no longer have to stand behind your camera, it opens up a lot more options for how you handle your imaging. A perfect distraction for the creative mind.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-24-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Rooz down your way you got some pretty interesting and even pretty nasty critters you could get some shots of. I like the idea of some kind of bee hive or wasp nest. Don keep a eye on the raccoons they are darn inqusitive little buggers. so who all wants to see Don running down his driveway chasing a raccoon who is holding the Tamron 90 in his front paws, now I would pay for that image!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Unhappy Pesky pests!

We had a raccoon that took up residence in our chimney, about a decade or so, ago. The smoke didn't seem to bother him, at all. Finally, it started backing up intot he house ... and I had to get a "chimney sweep" to oust the bugger ... and then we capped the chimney with a pest-resistant screen.

Haven't seen many in the past few years ... and I am not complaining. Biggest pest is the occasional skunk. Every once in a while, phew-eee. My puppy got skunked, once, and what a mess that was with a "Golden Retriever." Now, when he senses they are nearby, he looks up and asks me to go first.

Name:  trakker.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  214.1 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-24-2009 at 07:39 PM.

flickr & Sdi

No matter what all you use on the pup it still takes a few days to get the stink off him. I am right on the edge of town, right on one of the main streets in town and I get skunks and coons visiting and checking out my trash, and the deer in the back yard, or drinking out of the fountain off the patio, Hmmnn maybe a remote robot set up with night view! Don't know if you follow them or not Don but your white sox and my Indians are tied up in the 8th in Arizona
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Question What about flash?

So ... as you may have noticed, the sighting camera is directly in the way of the "hot shoe" mounted flash. My response to that is: "Like ... big deal!"

By using a "PC-sync" triggered ringflash ... flash directional issues are dealt with and you get to fill-flash the image.

Name:  Robot-&-Sight-w-ringflash.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  296.6 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-24-2009 at 11:30 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Always one step ahead!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thumbs up Concept realized

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Always one step ahead!
    Not always ... but, what the heck? Hey, look ... I have gotten beyond proof of concept, so that part is done. Having the robot head offers so much flexibility to the situation, especially with "multiple" or "moving" subjects. Now, I need to see what it can do. I will post the "rare stuff", as it comes.

The original intent was to simply "extend" the reach of my current equipment, for around the cost of a new lens. I believe have done that and a bit more.

If you have any questions ... you are invited to ask. I hope this exercise has ignited some ideas for other "remote" α700/α900 users (and perhaps those OTHER camera manufacturers, too ).

Thanks.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-25-2009 at 12:57 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Seeing through deception

Providing a little "stealth" to my image taking with the remote tripod-robot, I found a see-through camouflage head-netting that provides enough see-thru for the tracking/sighting live-view camera inside, while providing an open portal for the main lens and the focus-assist lamp to be completely exposed.

Name:  Camouflage-DSLR.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  378.0 KB

I guess we shall see how well it works ... after then darn SNOW is gone! Good lord, when is this stuff going to end? It's still coming down!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-05-2009 at 08:25 PM.

flickr & Sdi