Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Lightbulb Shooting in the real world ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    So where does your camera sit, outside? You just leave your A700 out? I don't know that I could do that lol, although you do have a security camera system..... So you just set it outside, run back inside, (presumably wait, and look through a window to see what you can get) and shoot away?
    Well, I do not want to be too predictable, as you can imagine. I have a separate security camera which monitors the A700's location. I then have a security camera that monitors the actual shoot (subject) location, so I can relatively detect when there is actual "live" activity (that part works pretty good, actually). I then can remotely tell the A700 to start a series of timed shots (10 seconds apart) with the PC and capture the subject/action.

Frank did come up with the idea of using some type of camouflage or a blind to shoot from. That would pretty well "mask" the camera from being immediately spotted. Heck, the birds are pretty disinterested in such things, so it works fine. But, have a human just try walking out there and the birds scatter to the four winds.

Now with this setup, I also have an alternative control method ... using a twenty-foot remote control cord for the robot and a 16-foot electronic release cord for SONY A700, where I can also clandestinely monitor without using the PC. I am experimenting with some old Gemini "Rabbits" that were used to transmit VCR outputs wirelessly to receiving televisions. Using the A700's "Video Out" jack (same idea), that will give me momentary image results, on a portable television (Channel 3), from each shot using this more primitive tethered local control. Once I get the bugs worked out, I will offer that idea.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-22-2009 at 01:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi