Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Nice work Peter, 'old' knowledge applied to digital age, shows why solid knowledge of the techniques of photography are as important as the photographers skill and art. Now which picture from each set do you condider to be the 'best' and why? I have so much to learn, and am always looking for ways to learn something new.
    I am a dedicated Sony fan with a Tamron / Minolta budget, it works for me! But credit where credit is do Rooz does produce VERY good images.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Nice work Peter, 'old' knowledge applied to digital age, shows why solid knowledge of the techniques of photography are as important as the photographers skill and art. Now which picture from each set do you condider to be the 'best' and why? I have so much to learn, and am always looking for ways to learn something new.
    I am a dedicated Sony fan with a Tamron / Minolta budget, it works for me! But credit where credit is do Rooz does produce VERY good images.
    Yeah, I discovered a little while ago that the exposure slider in Lightroom could work wonders. So when I am in low light, I will typically set the ISO as high as I feel I can, and drop the exposure compensation by about a stop. As long as I do that, I can almost always recover the stop of underexposure in Lightroom without any problem. I did that on a few of the pictures from this last outing.

Not to blow smoke... and I may sometimes disagree with his opinions on things, but Rooz does take some awesome images. He does a lot of great stuff in general, but the pictures he does of people are some of my favorite. His flickr stream is always a good source for inspiration. Which... by the way... was the original point of this thread. Inspiration. I just had a little alcohol in me system and blurted on about my current frustrations with the Sony system. And of course in a forum, it turns into an equipment discussion if the concept enters at all. And, it certainly is something that I wanted to discuss, as I mentioned in the opening post. But, it wasn't the original point.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

thank you for the compliments, i really appreciate it. but my type of shooting isnt a great example of why nikon is the way to go in this discussion. i rarely shoot over iso800 cos no matter how good a camera is, (apart from full frame of course), you lose too much in hi iso and flash yields FAR better results. theres no reason any of those shots couldnt be achieved with an a700 or a 40d or a d90 or an xsi for that matter...as long as your glass and lighting is up to it.

which gets me back to my original point before the sony fanclub chimed in...i was not trying to say one was better than the other. what i was saying is that in this particualr question of low light performance, there is clearly a CaNikon advantage, so if thats important to you then you've chosen the wrong system. if that upsets some people that i say that...then..well...too bad. lol
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

'Rooz', you are entitled to your belief system ... which we treat with dignity and respect, not slamming your glass selection or whatever. Obviously, this is a one-sided choice, though.

One day, everyone will be shooting through Zeiss-glass ...and as 'Coldrain' really loved to say ... "When pigs ..."
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    'Rooz', you are entitled to your belief system ... which we treat with dignity and respect, not slamming your glass selection or whatever. Obviously, this is a one-sided choice, though.

One day, everyone will be shooting through Zeiss-glass ...and as 'Coldrain' really loved to say ... "When pigs ..."
    Hopefully that day is soon!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

most of my shots are with a 35/2 and a 50/1.4. hardly "break the bank" sort of stuff. cheaper than the tamron gear you keep peddling. less is more Don.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Short shots are usually cheaper ... unless you go with SONY G (35mm f/1.4) or Carl Zeiss (85mm f/1.4 or 135mm f/1.8) PRIMES.

I'm not sure how twisted this exchange has become, because PRIMES and TAMRON Zooms have ... like ... nothing to do with one another, anyway!

But hey ... chip away at my fortune-makers. LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-22-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

if a lens cannot produce the quality of image i want then even if i pay $1 then its $1 wasted. i prefer to save all my pennies and grab the very best lens i can afford...not that you need to with nikon anyway, just grab the new 35/1.8 afs prime for $199. lol
    flickr

Jason, here's a shot taken with almost no ambient light at all on my apartment balcony using bounce flash:

right off the camera with no edits whatsoever.
    bounce flash does wonders for dark situations and the AF assist on the external flash is much faster in dark situations as well.

of course carrying a flash inside a restaurant may not be the ideal situation and sometimes awkward but you can always use it wireless as well
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    In the first set
    f2.8@1/15th camera shake
    f2.8@1/30th Best
    f2.8@1/60th looks OK but losing detail to noise when pixel peeping
    f2.8@1/125th again looks OK but losing more detail to noise when pixel peeping
    Then, I don't see much point in pixel peeping, how the picture looks is most important and all four look OK.

Similar story on the second set but the noise looks more prominent in 3 and 4 just looking at the pics.

Going back to the first set I used f2.8 to get a low shutter speed and simulate a situation where it was necessary to up the shutter speed.
    In reality in this situation I would have used f1.7 to gain 1 and then pushed another stop.

However Jason thinks his images were soft at f1.7 so that may not be an option for him. I though the images were fine apart from the one with the baby but we don't know the XIF data. Also I'd guess that the taking distance for the baby picture was about 7feet which, at f2.8, fixes the DOF at only 8" total. The lady in back and the Guiness glass look sharpest so I'm guessing that the Lady was the focus point and that the "softness" is likely a focus (DOF) issue.