Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Switch to Canikon and you'll gain better ISO performance and promptly lose it again with camera shake.
    What? An IS/VR lens gives you 3-4 stops. That's more than enough.

When I saw the first post in the thread, I immediately did a search for the word "flash". Not a single return. No one has mentioned the fact that what you really need is not a better camera for lower noise, but a flash to bounce off the ceiling for better light (and lower noise).

I shoot indoors at 1/125 f/4 ISO 400 in low light, without in-body OR in-lens IS/VR, and I never have camera shake problems. Ever. At some point when the venerable Nikkor 17-55 is on my camera I will shoot at f/2.8 and use a little less flash power for better background smoothness.

You need light. A good flash will cost the same as a new lens so consider that.

The Tamron 17-50 is a great lens but don't use it below f/4, you won't like the results. This is not a very good lens at f/2.8 so there are better choices if you want more light.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 02-21-2009 at 04:46 AM.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod