Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

To switch or not to switch

Long time since I've been here.

I've been shooting with my D40 for a little over a year and been enjoying. The only thing I've missed is autofocus on a primelense. So far I've used my dads old 50mm 1,8/f from the 80's, and although I'd rather shoot with a prime, the lack of autofocus has been a huge let down for me.

Therefore I've looked around at dslr's with built-in motor. And while I know it's a question of temperament I really can't decide of which way to go.

A straight upgrade to a D90 or switch to a Canon 40D? The D90 would've been the easy pick, coming from another Nikon. But don't know why I see the Canon 40D more like a camera.

There must be a few of you who've been in both camps. What would I miss if I chose one way instead of the other?
    Canon EOS 50D II;
    Canon EF 50 f/1.8 - Canon EFS 60 f/2.8 macro - Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

flickr

I picked the Nikon D300 over the Canon 40D (it was the main contender before i went Nikon). Aside from the fact the 40D is now discontinued and the 50D is in some ways is considered a backwards step (IQ wise atleast) to the 40D, i recently played with the D90 and feel I would've still picked it over a 40D. Not because i now own Nikon, but because it has a good variety of the pros which helped me pick the D300 over the 40D in the first place!
    Cameras: Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix G2, LX3 & FZ20
    Nikkor Lenses: 24-70mm f2.8 - 70-300mm VRII f4.5-5.6 - 50mm f1.4 G - 35mm f1.8 G - 50mm f1.8 - 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6
    Other Lenses: Tokina: 11-16mm f2.8, Sigma: 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, Lumix: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 & 20mm f1.7
    Other: Nikon SB 600, Vivitar 1/2/4 Close-up Lens, Cokin Graduated ND Filter and more...
    Computers/Software: MacBookPro 2.8ghz, Dell Latitude D630, Lexar CF UDMA FW800 Reader, Nikon Capture NX 1+2, Adobe Lightroom 1+2+3

Id say get the D90. Your already familiar with Nikons interface and you can mooch off your dads glass
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

I see less lenses in ur collection so switching isn't a big task,but since u posted here we can't let u go to the other camp.I will favour nikon menu handling and backward compatability of its brand lenses.
    Nikon D40,
    Nikon TC 200
    Vivitar 28-80 AIS
    Nikon Micro 55mm AI 1977,
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E AIS 1979,
    Nikon 300mm f/4 ED IF AIS 1982.....

Quote Originally Posted by RED_Partizan View Post
    But don't know why I see the Canon 40D more like a camera.
    Sorry, but I have to ask what does this mean exactly? Are you saying you view the 40D as a pro body and the D90 as an amatuer body? And since you haven't quantified what this 'why' is... how can someone offer up a realistic answer. Have you gone over the specs and reviewed all the options of these cameras? Are there features in the 40D that you need in which the D90 does not offer? Or, are you wanting someone to explain the differences to you? If the latter is the case is someone else's opinion more important than what you want? They are both solid camera's but not necessarily direct competitors. Try a google search of '40D vs D90' it's been searched for nearly a million times that ought to be a good starting point.

Try this site out:
    http://www.dxomark.com/
    Last edited by XaiLo; 02-19-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Link
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

I feel your pain. I've been pretty much sticking with the fifty and focusing manually for a while now, because I just don't want to step back down to the inferior aperture/IQ/vividness of the kit lens.

There is an AF-S prime coming out next month, the 35mm f/1.8, and it's at a great price point. However you'd still be SOL if you wanted, say, an 85mm for a portrait prime. And Nikon's new 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is, what, $500?
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

Take a look at the specs and decide for yourself, with this little info noone can give you any real advice.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14807929@N05/

D40+Sigma 17-70-2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

If you feel that the Canon is a better camera buy the Canon because that is what you will be happiest with.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_Partizan View Post
    I've been shooting with my D40 for a little over a year and been enjoying. The only thing I've missed is autofocus on a primelense. So far I've used my dads old 50mm 1,8/f from the 80's, and although I'd rather shoot with a prime, the lack of autofocus has been a huge let down for me.

Therefore I've looked around at dslr's with built-in motor. And while I know it's a question of temperament I really can't decide of which way to go.

A straight upgrade to a D90 or switch to a Canon 40D? The D90 would've been the easy pick, coming from another Nikon. But don't know why I see the Canon 40D more like a camera.

There must be a few of you who've been in both camps. What would I miss if I chose one way instead of the other?
    a couple of points...

as mentioned above, you dont have alot of glass so a switch is pretty much cost neutral and shouldnt even be a consideration for you. if you prefer canon, you're not invested enuf in nikon to let that stop you.

if you miss AF with a prime lens then there is the 50/1.4afs and 35/1.8 afs which have just been released. i would also expect more primes to follow. but if you upgrade to a d90 then thats not even an issue.

i dont know what you mean when you see one camera as "more" of a camera than another. both canon and nikon have their good and bad points...there is no perfect camera or perfect system. switching to canon may gain you something but you will also lose other things.

my advice is to hold both the nikon and canon 40d in your hands. have a good play around with them and pick the one that feels most comfortable.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    my advice is to hold both the nikon and canon 40d in your hands. have a good play around with them and pick the one that feels most comfortable.
    As this advice is given over, and over, and over numerous times, it is taken too lightly. It's simply the best advice you won't understand until you actually follow through with.

That's what made my mind up right on the spot.

D300>40/50D
    Dtrecenti