Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down No bargains on ebay

Every once in a while (like ~ once a week) I take a walk on the wild side and look for "bargains" to be found on Minolta glass for my collection. "Hole-fillers" like the 20mm f/2.8, the 85mm f/1.4 G (I just want the extra aperture, that's all), the 300mm f/2.8(same here), or even the massive 400mm f/4 (Yeah, same here ). Look, I'll be honest ... there aren't any. This is some dated glass ... and some of it rare at best. But that's not the worst of it. Even the common stuff is brutally high.

Back in 2005 or 2006 ... you could get almost any lens you could dream up and do it at some kind of reasonable price ... now, everything is hilariously way up and at nowhere near a "bargain" price. In fact, it's kind of wild to see even the SONY glass going for more than it sells for on website. What kind of sense does that make? I'm going to buy a lens from some seller on ebay over the manufacturer ... and pay more? What?

When I searched for Canon glass back in 2005 ... to build my then collection of it, it also was impossibly high to find a contemporary lens to mount for anything substantially less than full value. That, unfortunately, has not changed either. It is just that old Minolta glass has sadly joined these ranks, as more DSLRs are being sold.

SONY's apparent backing out of introducing the new round of lenses at PMA 09 makes this situation even more grim for the new users. I am not sure what the thinking is that is going on ... but, it makes it pretty hard to stay interested when I have to pay full boat for every piece of glass that is out there. Maybe you folks are having better luck, but I just thought I would bring it up for discussion.

It makes me ill thinking about that Minolta glass that didn't get picked up by SONY, before the purchase of the Camera Division. Where is all that stuff?

BTW: Another thing that is really, really bugging me is that the CZ16-35 f/2.8 and the 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM (both announced at Photokina 08) had been promised by January '09 ... and here SONY goes and dumps 4000 workers ... and cannot even provide the lenses for stock at even the big stores ... and we're at mid-February. Not only that, they cannot keep the CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 in stock!

Deliver the lenses ... then "deep-six" the staff... not the reverse. It makes no sense. People are clamoring for glass ... and when that happens, you make MORE ... not less! The α900 needs something to shoot through, for goodness sake! This is a really strange approach to marketing. They have the demand ... supply it, or someone else will. And then again, it stands to reason ... you cannot make money ... if you have nothing to sell ... well, that was before the housing market financing dried up ... now, there are lots of houses (pun intended) ... and no money to buy them with.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Have to agree with you on the eBay thing. I cannot believe what some folks are prepared to pay for stuff. As you say, some items go for more than "new".

If you see something you want, stick to what it's worth to you. If it goes for more wait for another one and everybody will benefit.

the same thing is happening with nikon glass. as you said, the massive increase in dslr ownership is driving demand and prices up for alot of used gear. one only has to look at what the strobist movement did to nikon sb flash units. couple of years ago you could pick u some older sb flashes for nix, now you're paying the price.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I don't think that I have ever bagged a real bargain on ebay. I have only ever bought one piece of glass from there (10-20mm) and although I payed about 50 less than I would have in a high street shop or online retailer it was imported from China so I got hit with custom tax and it eneded up costing around the same as if I had bought it from England.

On the other hand this sudden rise in lens popularity is good for people selling, having just sold my 50mm 1.8 for more than i bought it for a year or so ago, also my 18-55mm non VR went for a suprising amount of money!
    Nikon D90 | 18-105mm VR | Sigma 10-20mm | Nikon 35mm 1.8G | SB-600/900 | Crumpler Backpack & Shoulderbag

flickr

I couldn't agree more...

I got my DSLR in Aug 08 and managed to pick up my entire range of glass for extremely attractive prices using ebay (e.g. 24mm f2.8 for 40, 50mm f1.7 for 50, 70-210 f4 for 100).

Since Christmas 2008, when it would seem the ownership of Sony DSLRs increased dramatically, there isn't even a sniff of a bargain of any kind on ebay.

It really is a sellers market at the moment. Some of the lenses I bought are going for 2-3 times more than I paid for them last year. I've even been tempted to sell mine and upgrade to some of the CZs...

Once in awhile a good deal / fair price can be had, but a sweet bargin maybe not. I got my 'rare' Tokina 80-400mm at a very fair price I think, and it works great, near mint cond. Don did you happen to see on ebay when I was trolling a few days ago there was a 300mm 2.8 on, I don't recall if it was Minolta or Sigma now, I stopped reading when I got to the no return, no exchange, sold as is, no gurantee if working part! I mean come on, who would take a risk like that!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

You'd be amazed, actually. If you could troll in a decent lens (of significant cost, of course), with some focusing difficulties, you could have it spiffed up and repaired (maybe) at the depot for relatively cheap. Obviously, that can be a problem for some lenses, which is why I've been trying to get a list of the glass SONY will not support. It seems to be getting tighter and tighter. They only want to support what they sell ... not what they bought into, obviously.

My advice is to ignore ebay and just concede to buy it new, if possible. It heads off all sorts of issues (maintenance and performance, usually) and you get that year warranty if it does foul up. With an ebay purchase (at near or more than original price) you only get "no return", usually. "As is" is not necessarily "as was."

I know have personal experience of SONY purchasing back glass for so much on the dollar, to remove it. It's hard say if that is just great customer support or a marketing ploy to clean the slate. I saw a lot of glass disappear off the ebay shelves, initially, when SONY took the Minolta Camera Division on. Whatever ... it is happening. That is the real fact.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The best deals I've found have been on Craigslist. I got my 50 1.8 AFS for $40 a few weeks ago, which was an awesome deal.
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Give me feedback on Flickr

How is the Nikon Toy?? What did you get for your Sony?

Frank
    Last edited by sparkie1263; 02-14-2009 at 04:17 AM.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by GotToyota? View Post
    The best deals I've found have been on Craigslist. I got my 50 1.8 AFS for $40 a few weeks ago, which was an awesome deal.
    Wow, I didn't know you went with a D40x. I got the impression you were planning on spending quite a bit more. I've been flirting off and on with switching systems, and if I did I'm pretty sure I would go Nikon. I'm very interested in high-ISO. I think they have the best system right now, but that seems to change around often.

I agree about craigslist. Two problems have happened with ebay. Many many years ago good deals could be found, because it was mostly people cleaning out the garage to get rid of stuff, which Craigslist is now. But since then most ebay sellers are dealers doing it to make a living. With niche products like DSLR equipment you get an occasional seller that is really an individual photographer getting rid of some stuff, or someone that cruises yard sales for junk to put on ebay, but most are dealers that go through tons and tons of stuff, and know what to expect for it.

The other problem is that there are so many people on there that demand is high, and so the prices go up. I also see stuff on there for more than retail, and the scary part is that it sells!

When I do find decent deals on ebay, its because it is mislisted. Someone is selling grandpas old Maxxum 7000 with a 50mm f/1.7. The lens typically goes for $130, but the seller doesn't know that, and thinks the camera is the important part. So he searches ebay for the 7000, sees that is runs for $50, and puts it up with a $50 buy-it-now. Then you get a good deal, but the seller doesn't know enough to tell if the stuff is in good shape or not.

Thats why i like to search for "minolta af" or "maxxum" buy it nows, in order of most recently listed.

Since I paid almost nothing for my crossed XX beercan ($100) and 50mm 1.7(around $60, considering I bought it with other stuff and had a $40 repair), I've certainly considered selling them. They both go for about double what I paid for them locally.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr