Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Thumbs down No bargains on ebay

Every once in a while (like ~ once a week) I take a walk on the wild side and look for "bargains" to be found on Minolta glass for my collection. "Hole-fillers" like the 20mm f/2.8, the 85mm f/1.4 G (I just want the extra aperture, that's all), the 300mm f/2.8(same here), or even the massive 400mm f/4 (Yeah, same here ). Look, I'll be honest ... there aren't any. This is some dated glass ... and some of it rare at best. But that's not the worst of it. Even the common stuff is brutally high.

Back in 2005 or 2006 ... you could get almost any lens you could dream up and do it at some kind of reasonable price ... now, everything is hilariously way up and at nowhere near a "bargain" price. In fact, it's kind of wild to see even the SONY glass going for more than it sells for on website. What kind of sense does that make? I'm going to buy a lens from some seller on ebay over the manufacturer ... and pay more? What?

When I searched for Canon glass back in 2005 ... to build my then collection of it, it also was impossibly high to find a contemporary lens to mount for anything substantially less than full value. That, unfortunately, has not changed either. It is just that old Minolta glass has sadly joined these ranks, as more DSLRs are being sold.

SONY's apparent backing out of introducing the new round of lenses at PMA 09 makes this situation even more grim for the new users. I am not sure what the thinking is that is going on ... but, it makes it pretty hard to stay interested when I have to pay full boat for every piece of glass that is out there. Maybe you folks are having better luck, but I just thought I would bring it up for discussion.

It makes me ill thinking about that Minolta glass that didn't get picked up by SONY, before the purchase of the Camera Division. Where is all that stuff?

BTW: Another thing that is really, really bugging me is that the CZ16-35 f/2.8 and the 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM (both announced at Photokina 08) had been promised by January '09 ... and here SONY goes and dumps 4000 workers ... and cannot even provide the lenses for stock at even the big stores ... and we're at mid-February. Not only that, they cannot keep the CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 in stock!

Deliver the lenses ... then "deep-six" the staff... not the reverse. It makes no sense. People are clamoring for glass ... and when that happens, you make MORE ... not less! The α900 needs something to shoot through, for goodness sake! This is a really strange approach to marketing. They have the demand ... supply it, or someone else will. And then again, it stands to reason ... you cannot make money ... if you have nothing to sell ... well, that was before the housing market financing dried up ... now, there are lots of houses (pun intended) ... and no money to buy them with.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi