Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Caon 5D MK2 Expedition, a 25min Documentary with and about the Camera

Hi there,
    we made a test for Swiss TV to find out whats possible with the cam.
    Enjoy some nice Swiss scenery...

http://www.bildblog.ch

I can't watch... visa maxed already... urge to buy buy buy growing!

50D, Rebel XT, 70-200mm F4L IS, 17-85mm IS, 50mm F1.8, 28-135mm IS, 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 580 EX II, 480 EX II, Opus speedlight umbrella kit.
    Aron de Haan: Photography

beautiful!
    Dtrecenti

The photo site The Luminous Landscape just ran a recap column following a recent Antarctic photo expedition. There was a total of 26 5D MkII's in use by participants and of those, about 25% suffered some sort of failure with many probably due to condensation or moisture. No other camera model exhibited this sort of failure rate. The conditions were described as generally no worse than a drizzly winter day. I guess Canon makes no claims of weather sealing on the 5D MkII, but it may be something to be aware of. I am a Canon user, so this isn't intended to start a flame war or anything, just wanted to pass this info along.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoat View Post
    The photo site The Luminous Landscape just ran a recap column following a recent Antarctic photo expedition. There was a total of 26 5D MkII's in use by participants and of those, about 25% suffered some sort of failure with many probably due to condensation or moisture. No other camera model exhibited this sort of failure rate. The conditions were described as generally no worse than a drizzly winter day. I guess Canon makes no claims of weather sealing on the 5D MkII, but it may be something to be aware of. I am a Canon user, so this isn't intended to start a flame war or anything, just wanted to pass this info along.
    Oh My!
    Is this in reference to the given link above? Same Expedition?
    Dtrecenti

Here's a link to the FM thread discussing this....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...ailure#6691360

I've never had any issues with any of my Canon bodies and I shoot in crappy New England weather frequently, although I do so with common sense.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Probably just lucky, but I've even been surprised and pleased that my "lowly" XTi and lenses have come through some soggy encounters, the worst being a week at Laguna San Ignacio in Baja California. Spent several days on the water in small boats with splashing and exhaling gray whales. No direct hits of course, but lot's of handling with wet hands and spray. Did my best to keep it dry or at least dried off without ill effect. On the first day, I did try to use a lightweight rain cover, but it just got in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
    I've never had any issues with any of my Canon bodies and I shoot in crappy New England weather frequently, although I do so with common sense.