Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question a SONY ... why a SONY?

Once upon a time, their was a camera company that was on the bleeding edge of design. They had developed, through extensive research and a very receptive customer base, camera technology almost decades ahead of "the rest."

Unfortunately, the business office could not support the company and it eventually closed its operation. Parts of the company were sold off, until SONY put the brakes on the sales ... grabbed what they could of the rest, and resurrected the Camera Division back into a usable source of technology.

SONY's powerful decision re-ignited the user base, who had loved the earlier film and digital products of the closed company, and a brand new digital camera company division was born ... SONY DSLR.

While most of the original designs were good, possibilities existed for this new division to add some important new players to their roster, from existing contracts with other divisions, making for a synergistic approach never before seen.

This SONY DSLR not only has maintained the ties to the old company it acquired, but has added top quality design from other companies, make for one of the most robust camera lines in existence today. With three INTRO level cameras available, offering image stability with every lens mounted, and another two DSLRs with advanced user features, there is very little this wide combination cannot do.

It would appear that SONY is maintaining its conservative role with conventional DSLR design, while keeping an eye on newer technologies, should they bear out to be viable and useful to the photographic community, both old and new.

Why a SONY? Can you imagine a digital camera with a wider reach to the past and still looking to the future?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-07-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Still beating that image stabilization drum, even though you've been defeated on that issue countless times?

Still hocking it for Sony, I see. How much did you get for writing this post?
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

VR ... you could always get yourself a small SONY DSLR and join in ... there's room in the pool.

SO, there I was ... standing the SONY DSLR forum ... expressing how I enjoy using my camera ... when in walked this guy with Nikon. I kind of thought he looked a bit out of place, but he was welcomed in, even though he complained we were making too much noise and having a bit too much interest in our technology.

Okay ... 1/15th of second ... ISO 3200 ... f/4 ... standing up & handheld... using an 85mm f/1.4 lens @ f/5.6. Sharper one wins. GO!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Nikon or Canon would win that one hands-down. Why? Not only will the Sony image look like utter crap (unless its downsampled to compress the noise), the in-body IS is not as effective as the others 3-4 stop IS/VR systems.

I base this on the fact that I haven't seen an acceptable ISO 3200 image come out of a Sony yet, so any links to one will be appreciated. The only thing that will be sharp about the image is the noise.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

I have yet to see a handheld 85mm PRIME 1/15 sec indoor shot that looked sharp from a Nikon or Canon. That's EXACTLY why I let my earlier system go for the "internal" improvement of the SONY DSLR "Super SteadyShot." EVERY lens has a fighting chance ... not just the ones with $400 of additional stabilization in EACH box. YMMD (your mileage may differ), but I kind of doubt it.

One other thing ... did you have something you needed to contribute to the SONY DSLR forum ... or was this just a "Nikon drive-by?"

Name:  Nikon-drive-by.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  74.9 KB
    EXIF: A700 w/ 85mm f/1.4
    85mm - f/5.6 - 1/125 sec - ISO-200 - Manual (Override)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2009 at 08:52 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    Nikon or Canon would win that one hands-down. Why? Not only will the Sony image look like utter crap (unless its downsampled to compress the noise), the in-body IS is not as effective as the others 3-4 stop IS/VR systems.

sure the lens IS may be better (don't disagree with you there), but they are expensive and limited with the selection of lenses.
    Sony still remains more user friendly and pocket friendly for new DSLR converts as opposed to Nikon or Canon unless they have lots of money to spend getting IS/VR lenses.

the question here is IS on all lenses with the Sony or IS with a limited few on Canikon?
    also not to mention the weight factor.

i for one did not have an unlimited budget when i jumped to the DSLR market so i picked Sony because i knew i will have shaky moments, but if i did have an unlimited budget for lenses, then maybe i would have gone the other way.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

OK Don, here you go, handheld, ISO 3200, 88mm, 1/15, f/4.0(close as I could get with my 24-105 f/4L), IS off, pretty darn dark room.

Straight out of the camera.

With a quick Post Process, basically some NR and USM.

You would be shooting in a nearly dark room if you actually got to the parameters you are suggesting. The only thing I didn't duplicate is f/1.8, I don't have an 85mm prime lens. Let's see yours...

Oh yeah, I am seeing that my mileage is differing....
    BTW these are out of 3 shots I took with these parameters, no more. I didn't shoot dozens and pick the very best one. Yes I picked the best of the three, but it was a very small sample.
    Last edited by TenD; 02-08-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    sure the lens IS may be better (don't disagree with you there), but they are expensive and limited with the selection of lenses.
    Sony still remains more user friendly and pocket friendly for new DSLR converts as opposed to Nikon or Canon unless they have lots of money to spend getting IS/VR lenses.

the question here is IS on all lenses with the Sony or IS with a limited few on Canikon?
    also not to mention the weight factor.

i for one did not have an unlimited budget when i jumped to the DSLR market so i picked Sony because i knew i will have shaky moments, but if i did have an unlimited budget for lenses, then maybe i would have gone the other way.
    Actually Elisha, Sony lensing is more expensive than their equal Canon counterparts with IS in almost every area. Take a quick look at B&H and compare. Don doesn't dispute this.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Hey, I'm no authority. I'm just a guy with some education, a great camera and some ideas on how to shoot it. If you can get a steady shot out your camera, more power to you. My suggestion is to eliminate the problem without having to do breathing exercises.

Obviously, IS is of little or no use, to you, Ernest. I can come to grips with that. Honestly, that is fantastic ... but, for the other 90 million shaken-ridden individuals ... maybe you should be a bit more ... ahhh, sensitive?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2009 at 09:21 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Actually Elisha, Sony lensing is more expensive than their equal Canon counterparts with IS in almost every area. Take a quick look at B&H and compare. Don doesn't dispute this.
    yeah but us poor folks don't buy Sony lenses. i personally buy Minolta lenses and they are everywhere.
    but regardless the SonyStore folks will give you a 15% discount in store if you ask nicely on most accessories :-)
    personally i don't see anything in the Sony lineup that i want other than the 135mm STF.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR