Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Eos Utility Camera not Recognized - 50D

I have a very strange problem with my new 50D and Windows XP.

After installing all the included software, I attached the camera via USB. The usual XP dialog came up asking which program I want to use. I choose "EOS Utility." I then get an error dialog box saying "The camera is not recognized." Upon closing the dialog, the EOS Utility screen flashes on and off for a microsecond. If I then open EOS Utility from its icon, it works perfectly!

Notes and troubleshooting steps:
    - I've previously had a Rebel XT installed. When I hook it up, everything works fine, including EOS Utility from the dialog.
    - I have uninstalled and reinstalled ALL the software and UPDATED all the components. Reboots and registry cleans. No difference.
    - The 50D is recognized immediately by Windows. It appears in My Computer and Device Manager with no errors or problems. I have confirmed this BEFORE choosing the "EOS Utility" in the Windows dialog box.
    - I have unplugged all my peripherals (printer, scanner, etc) with no change.
    - WIA is started automatically without issues.

As I said, the EOS Utility works fine from its icon. I know this is not a major issue, it's just irritating because I like to set my software to download immediately as soon as connected and this problem does not allow it.

Thanks,
    Russ

The new Eos Utility update from dec. won't format your card either...they forgot to re add that little feature. They do know about it cause i e-mailed them.
    Canon 40D
    EF 70-200 f/4L IS, EF 400 f/5.6L
    EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

Thank. Have you or anyone else experienced the issue that I am having? I've been in an e-mail conversation with Canon tech support about it but am getting the usual "aimed at novices" double-talk and runaround.

Not sure i can help..but no 1 else has stepped up to the plate here. I'm assuming the Camera is off when you plug into the USB? From when you turn your Camera on and when the screen comes up to chose what proggy you use...how long would you say that takes? Btw just to let you know....my XP dialog screen rarely comes up, does work though when it does.
    Canon 40D
    EF 70-200 f/4L IS, EF 400 f/5.6L
    EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

Sorry, I don't use the EOS utility and never hooked my camera up so I can't help there. Only advice I can give you is buy a card reader.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Card readers eliminate a lot of hassles.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Card readers eliminate a lot of hassles.
    True - but if you need to shoot tethered, I think it's the only free option in town. A lot of the product stuff I'm shooting lately requires shooting directly down on the item from high above and so live view tethered to my laptop is my only option to see what I'm doing. The EOS Utility allows me to control the camera remotely and still see the live view image.

Russ - my experience is the EOS Utility is pretty clunky at times, so it doesn't surprise you have this issue. Be happy you can launch it from the icon!
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

That's true. I've only ever shot tethered once though and gave up halfway through because it kept coming unplugged.
    Ouch.

The camera is off. I plug into USB and power on. I hear the windows connected sound and within a few seconds, get the dialog screen asking me to choose a program. I hit EOS Utility. After about 3 seconds, I get the "camera is not recognized" error. I hit OK and I see a microsecond flash of the EOS Utility screen, then gone. It does work from the icon. Of not, when I hook up my Rebel XT, it works fine!

I know I should use a card reader, I just like things to work!

By the way, are all card readers created equal in terms of transfer speed?

Russ

I only use EOS utility to put my name in the camera and shoot tethered, but I rarely do that.
    | Canon 7D| Canon 5D|Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II |
    my photos on flickr