Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F200exr

Hybrid View

F200exr

Anyone excited about this?

I just have one question in mind. It says, full-manual, but I don't see any Shutter priority in the details. Can anyone clarify if Shutter is in fact included in this new killer toy by Fujifilm?

Don't trust Fuji M mode. On mine it simply is P mode on some other cameras. I am as baffled if S priority mode is included and after checking Fuji website I'm no clearer to the truth either.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

This Japanese site has sample F200 photos:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=ja&tl=en

A lot of barrel distortion on the wide angle shot of bricks. Otherwise they look good to me.

FULL manual but NO shutter priority???

I'm confused too LOL.

I was interested to read about the new EXR sensor array HERE. Seems to make a lot of sense to me (theoretically), but like all these "great" new ideas, I guess time will tell?

Cheers

Look at the mode dial. If there's no A/S setting, it doesn't have Aperture or Shutter Priority. "M" has always been Program mode. Fuji are sleazy in that regard. I also don't see why the the "low noise priority EXR" has to be a SHOOTING MODE. It should be a processing function independent of the exposure mode chosen. In other words, I should get that EXR quality in Av, Tv, M, or any other idiot mode on the camera. I shouldn't have to switch to EXR and give up some control to get it. It also shouldn't cut my resolution in half.

I'll wait for the F300EXR. Hopefully they'll smarten up by then.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 02-06-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    Ouch.

Another look at the mode dial (and at the already-published user's manual) show that, this time, Mode P is really named Mode P, and Mode M is a real Mode M. In addition, there is a mode A (mode P can be switched between P and A using a menu entry).

There is no mode S, but also no need for such a mode. The aperture has only two settings. Fixing the shutter speed and letting the camera choose one of only two aperture settings doesn't make much sense. Just use mode M, choose one of the only two apertures (usually open aperture, I reckon), choose your shutter speed, and there's all the mode S you'll ever need with this camera.

By the way, some reviews on other sites suggest that the EXR really can deliver. Dynamic range seems to be bigger than with any other compact camera (including those with a SuperCCD SR), and HighISO performance looks a bit better than with F30 and F31fd.

@Jeff: if you ever do a F200EXR review, please have a look at how it behaves in 'normal' modes (Auto, P, M) with picture size set to 6MP. It has already been verified that then setting DR to more than 100% will automatically switch the camera to EXR DR mode. Some people have also suggested that choosing DR=100% and a high ISO setting, e.g. 3200, will automatically switch the camera to EXR SN mode. Since the special EXR SN mode which can be chosen manually is limited to ISO1600, this would be an important issue. Please include 6MP ISO3200 pictures in your review, if you are doing one - no-one else has done that so far.

Best Regards,
    malamut

Quote Originally Posted by malamut View Post
    There is no mode S, but also no need for such a mode. The aperture has only two settings. Fixing the shutter speed and letting the camera choose one of only two aperture settings doesn't make much sense. Just use mode M, choose one of the only two apertures (usually open aperture, I reckon), choose your shutter speed, and there's all the mode S you'll ever need with this camera.

Best Regards,
    malamut
    How can you say there is "no need" for a S mode?

How can you deterministically and reliably freeze motion, whether at a kids' birthday, the zoo, or sporting event (we're not talking dslr + pro glass, just someone with a p&s at one of these venues)?

How about flowers and foliage which inevitably bow to the wind?

How about bugs in flight, birds in flight, kites, a toddler giving his mama a kiss?

None of these is within reach of the F200's capability unless either the fixed iris or the ND filter + fixed iris provide the aperture needed at a given ISO (and focal length).

It would be more accurate to say it wouldn't be "useful" - i.e., it would be terribly frustrating and of limited capability - to have only two shutter speed choices given a fixed ISO since the aperture can only be A or B at a given focal length.

And yet... they include aperture priority. MG

It's a poor implementation imho. If they kept the price "down" by not providing a traditional p&s aperture, they blew it...again...mho.

...oops... I just noticed I missed a few postings before sending my reply - the matter was already set. So I've re-writen this posting completely. Sorry for that.

Anyway: If you want a mode S in the sense of 'setting shutter speed but letting the camera choose everything else', what you really need is AutoISO for the modes A/S/M. And sadly, Fuji never includes this in any of their cameras (many people, including myself, have quite often complained about that on fujifilm.de).

With the inclusion of AutoISO, again, Mode M on the F200EXR gives you all you need. Just choose one of the two possible apertures and set the shutter speed to whatever you want.

Please don't forget that one of the two F200EXR aperture sizes uses an ND filter (which is necessary due to diffraction). A 12MP compact camera simply doesn't have enough aperture flexibility between open aperture and diffraction-limited aperture to employ a real and useful Mode S. Hence, while you surely want to have a mode S on a DSLR, it is simply pointless on cameras of the F200EXR class.

Best Regards,
    malamut
    Last edited by malamut; 03-27-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by malamut View Post
    Please don't forget that one of the two F200EXR aperture sizes uses an ND filter (which is necessary due to diffraction). A 12MP compact camera simply doesn't have enough aperture flexibility between open aperture and diffraction-limited aperture to employ a real and useful Mode S.

actually not, the F200 has two real apertures. you see also some diffraction-problems when using the small aperture, but they are suprisingly little.

the shot to shot and AF times are a greater inhibitor to those action sequences you were talking about. looks pretty solid to me.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr