Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a300 @ ISO1600

Great, thanks Don, I have been setting for AWB on my inside high ISO no flash sports shots. Our gym is pretty nicely lit as far as gyms seem to go. I havent been able to find a good setting, Tungsten i just can't get it 'bright' enough, and fluorescent with the yellowis colored reflective hardwood just really 'yellows' out the shot, Need to go out early some night and go up the scale maybe.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

ok so is the purpose of white balance to match what the eye sees based on the lighting when composing or what the whites should look like in an ideal lighting scenario?
    i tend to go for what the eye sees but i agree Don's edit looks better.

i'm very impressed with the noise levels! hopefully there will be a fw update that would make ISO3200 usable as well.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Your brain is very good at judging what is white (and compensating) under different light sources. Not so the camera, it needs a bit(lot) of help to decide what is actually white and when it gets it wrong you get a colour cast.
    Changing the selector to Sunny, Cloudy etc... gets you in the right ball park but the only way to be certain is "Custom WB". An 18% grey card is the cheapest solution but a bit "clunky"; the clip on front cap type are a more elegant solution but expensive.

It does help to toss your subject a 18% Gray card ... do a quick shot with it in the frame and then have them toss it back and finish your series. You also can place it at an extreme edge in the frame (so it can be easily cropped) ... you really only need one shot (given the lighting doesn't change). Great suggestion, Peek.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Without a gray card, you can do a custom WB in your camera and let it figure out what true white should be. It's the bottom most WB option in the WB menu.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Doesn't that need you to point at a neutral toned area to set it though?
    You can "Bracket" the WB with the A700 (don't know about A100/350)

No, Custom WB requires use of a white spot ... not neutral.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yes the a300 has a Hi and Lo WB Bracket mode.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR