Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Stocking SONY Style Stores

I wrote directly to SONY's Customer service about this issue with SONY Style stores, here in Chicago ...

Customer (Don Schap) 01/25/2009 09:14 PM
    I was recently in the SONY Style store in Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, IL ... looking to check out several lenses for purchase. The store did not have a single high-end lens to evaluate. Not one!

Now, they had a $3000 A900 DSLR available, but not one decent quality lens to mount on it. I'm sorry, but I and many of my friends and neighbors in a big city like Chicago are not willing to plunk down $1700 for a lens if I cannot even try it in the store. I sincerely suggest you expand the inventory to include all these higher-end lenses for simple evaluation. I can only assume it would improve your sales of these items, in these tight-cash times, and prove the quality of the A900 with something a bit useful mounted on it than a 100mm f/2.8 MACRO lens.

Also, a bit more floor assistance would be nice, also.

and got an email back:

"Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If you require any further assistance, please reply to this email within 2 weeks.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you."

Subject
    High-end lens at SONY Style Stores (Chicago)

Discussion Thread
    Response (Devon) 01/28/2009 11:05 AM
    Hello,

Your comments and suggestions enable us to continuously improve and they will be reviewed by the appropriate departments empowered to implement them as appropriate.

Regards,

Devon
    Sony Style Concierge
    www.sonystyle.com

Personally, if you guys are serious ... you would write an email, also. If they get enough of them, someone at Customer Support might just get a clue about marketing.

Here's the email address ... have at it!

"Sony Style Customer Care" <sonystyle@custhelp.com>
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah, I should. My store had an A900 with the CZ 16-80mm on it. When I asked why, the guy was like..... huh? and I tried to explain and was just like, d'oh just forget it! *sigh. They could've at least put the 50mm on it!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I'm sorry, but I and many of my friends and neighbors in a big city like Chicago are not willing to plunk down $1700 for a lens if I cannot even try it in the store.
    ?? why ?? i've never "tried" a lens in store with any lens i've purchased. top end or bottom end. it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference as far as i can see. ESPECIALLY with top end glass which is targeted at pro's or very serious hobbyists, they dont bank on selling alot of 'em to tire kickers.

camera body, sure, that i understand, but a lens ? i think its unnecessary. what exactly are you going to understand by using it in the store ?

can you imagine the cost to any manufacturer to stock all of their high end lens' at all the retailers ? looks like you got an automated reply...and understandabley so imo.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Cool Life in the big city!

Rooz ... I didn't request EVERY store in the world, just the Woodfield Mall SONY Style store ... only the biggest darn mall,
    next to the MALL OF AMERICA! C'mon, get real. This mall services five entire states ... and all of Chicago, the 3rd largest
    city in the nation. 10 million people in the city and collar countries.

Good God ... Australia has ruined your perception. You better get your rear in gear and get up here and see what you are
    saying. No, I'll go you one better ... here's a picture!

Name:  Planet-Chicago.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  187.2 KB

Betcha ain't got nothing like this in Australia!

Stocking lenses in that particular store is CHEAP by comparison!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-01-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

But Don it IS Australia! I think almost everything has to be mailed and or shipped there. But damn do I want to GO!! The folks from OZ really seem to know how to LIVE, of course you have to watch yourself, there is a book called 'In a sun burnned country' a really fun read, but anyway there is a entire chapter on all the things that can kill you, many pretty nasty! O.K. sorry for the hi-jack, I now return you to your scheduled forums
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Just put the lenses in the stores so I can look at them. Currently, I don't even know anyone with some of these!

Heck, I'm the only one for miles with a CZ 135mm f/1.8

Canon and Nikon stuff ... it's around every block, it seems. Can't use a piece of it, but it is there. Heck, you trip over it ...
    on your way to the SONY store.

If you don't do anything else, tonight ... write a letter to Customer Service ... and get that store STOCKED!
    "Sony Style Customer Care" <sonystyle@custhelp.com>
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-01-2009 at 10:13 PM.

flickr & Sdi