Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Neither Canon or Nikon offers Don's holy grail of in camera IS and I doubt either one will.
    Which is completely pointless when you have a sensor that is a full stop behind in ISO performance. Take the 1 stop advantage (it is probably 2 stops with the D3) and add 3-4 more by putting on an IS/VR lens and the Sony is left behind in the IS game. In-body is a null and void argument for them, right now.

By the way, Canon is letting people off early and saving the wages. Instead they are encouraging their workers to go home and make babies, to help the country's low birth rate.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    Which is completely pointless when you have a sensor that is a full stop behind in ISO performance. Take the 1 stop advantage (it is probably 2 stops with the D3) and add 3-4 more by putting on an IS/VR lens and the Sony is left behind in the IS game. In-body is a null and void argument for them, right now.

By the way, Canon is letting people off early and saving the wages. Instead they are encouraging their workers to go home and make babies, to help the country's low birth rate.
    Whoa Whoa easy there killer, I am a Canon shooter and a complete believer in lens based IS. Canikon offers better performance in IS and high ISO.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I love this, someone posts the stuff he wants to sell, in the Sony forum... and it drags the Canon vs. Nikon holy war right in.

No surprise, it seems in many photography forums that eventually a thread about a picture of a chair would eventually turn into a Nikon vs. Canon debate, but its funny.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    How much is the reserve? Just as a warning though, there's not a good chance you will sell with that reserve. People just don't bid as high and they very rarely exceed that set amount. It just discourages buyers.
    I took away the reserve, would a Buy It Now be more fitting? I put $485 on there plus $20 shipping, maybe someone will bite.
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Give me feedback on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I love this, someone posts the stuff he wants to sell, in the Sony forum... and it drags the Canon vs. Nikon holy war right in.

No surprise, it seems in many photography forums that eventually a thread about a picture of a chair would eventually turn into a Nikon vs. Canon debate, but its funny.
    And who started it? Your not so illustrious leader...He can't hardly post without taking a shot at his former mistress, Canon.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Don can't resist a dig and you can't resist taking the bait; I wish you'd all desist.

The clue is in the title, Sony Digital SLRs. We've weighed up the pro's and con's and made our choice.
    Yes, Canon has an edge providing the lens is "IS". The Minolta (Oops Sony) has "AS" for all Sony Alpha and all Minolta MF and AF lenses made in the last 35 years. No contest!!

Yeah, I know, and I've at least indirectly called him out on that. However I just don't get into the forum flame wars about much, so my responses to him have never brought on a debate.

I personally think it is especially silly for cameras. They are tools. There are some slight advantages to different systems, but if the camera made much of a difference, every guy that could afford a D3 or a Hasselblad would be Richard Avedon, and thats not the case.

One thing that does bother me is when people look at my pictures and say "Gee, you must have a really nice camera." I think the Canon vs. Nikon (vs. Sony vs. Olympus vs. Pentax) debates are at that same level of thinking.

I am willing to argue that Canon and Nikon have an advantage over Sony/Oly/Pentax b/c they are more supported, you can rent CaNikon gear, and you can walk into a camera shop and find what you need, instead of ordering. Or that the others are better because you can find killer deals on stuff if you hunt. But its whats behind the viewfinder (and the light) that make the big difference.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Exactly Right!

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Whoa Whoa easy there killer, I am a Canon shooter and a complete believer in lens based IS. Canikon offers better performance in IS and high ISO.
    Isn't that what I said?

Also I fail to see where this was ever a Canon vs Nikon debate. Don went up against Rooz in the past over in-body IS and lost the argument for the same reasons I posted.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 01-31-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Look ... "IS" only has so much benefit. If you shoot like a pre-2003 film photographer ... using your tripod ... as originally designed, the whole argument is a wash. "IS" is supposed to be shut off. That expensive "IS"-equipped lens, now, is just an ordinary expensive lens. They didn't put that little 1/4" hole at the bottom of your camera by accident. Use the darn thing ... you ALL will be happier with the result.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi