Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Should I....?

Should I....?

I hear a lot of bad things about the infamous "kit lens"... I am curious as to what makes it particularly bad and what should I buy to replace it? Obviously I don't want to spend a huge sum of money for this lens so any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks,
    Chris

I have the kit lens also but I think I got a good copy of it since my pictures with it have been looking great.

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a good portrait lens, and also want to be flexible when working in low light situations, then the prime 50 1.7 might work for you. I got mine from someone on Craigslist for $40 in perfect condition, and I love it. However, if you like shooting outdoors and such, a telephoto lens might be what you're looking for. I'm looking into getting the Tamron 70-300 DI f/4-5.6, which might be a viable option for you in the $160 range.

http://www.adorama.com/TM70300DMAX.html

-Matt
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Give me feedback on Flickr

Lightbulb Some well-considered reasoning ...

Quote Originally Posted by jcray19 View Post
    I hear a lot of bad things about the infamous "kit lens"... I am curious as to what makes it particularly bad and what should I buy to replace it? Obviously I don't want to spend a huge sum of money for this lens so any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris,

Please click on this thread ... and give it a look. Personally, I do not feel it is harsh ... concerning the "kit lens", but there are a few who disagree (yes, you know who you are!).
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi