Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Check off your favorite kind of Photography ...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aerial Photgraphy

1 7.69%
  • Artistic Photography

4 30.77%
  • Advertising/Studio

0 0%
  • Documentary/Photojournalism

2 15.38%
  • Macro (Close-up)

3 23.08%
  • Micro & Scientific

0 0%
  • Outdoor & Travel

10 76.92%
  • People/Portraiture

4 30.77%
  • Sports

3 23.08%
  • I haven't picked any ... I'm still doing it all!

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Question What is your favorite type of Photography?

Although some of us may not yet have found it, eventually we all have a knack for a particular kind of photography.

If you have gravitated to a particular kind or have several you specialize with, go ahead check them off from this terse listing. It is all in fun and I really doubt anybody "substantial" is reviewing our answers.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I think my range will narrow as I take more photos, I'm still discovering a lot about what I do.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

I picked outdoors/travel. I mostly like to shoot landscapes, but I'll also shoot anything I encounter along the way (flowers, mushrooms, etc.). I also like to shoot the occasional portrait, but that's a distance second.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I shoot everything since I always have my camera with me. Most of my shots are of grandchildren, wildlife, and landscapes.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Well as I didn't see European swimsuit models in exotic tropical locations i went with sports, and outdoor / travel
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

outdoor/landscape

Like Wengler, I chose the closest thing to landscape photography. I love to travel, and some of my best work has been on long backpacking trips, but I too am more outdoor than travel. A little astrophotography too.. is that aerial?
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

I did NOT chose people/portrait because I have a hard time articulating the "subject" to what I want them to do. I get a little frustrated when trying to take group shots, generally because not every one is listening to the instructions and it becomes a cluster... I also picked aerial because I have my private pilots license and I LOVE to take pictures from the air!!!

Astrophotography is something most folks do as a side ... not as the primary and sole reason for their camera's existence. I didn't add it because it is a little limiting and not many people actually ever shoot through their telescope, even if they had one.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

As I am still learning new things, and still have a long way to go before I can call myself a photographer. I find birds, landscapes & architecture interesting.

Red face All of the above!

I really have not narrowed my selection of Photography styles ... and that kind of goes along with how I have lived my life. Jack of all trades, master of none. I guess I lack focus. I know that APERTURE is worth a thousand bucks, but nailing down just one kind of photography tends to feel so "limiting."

The flip side of that coin is that by not doing so, the costs of doing it "all" are quite a bit higher. You need a MACRO flash, elex flash(es), studio strobe(s), the sun ... and whatever else light source you desire. Then, all the lenses ... and you know how those costs can mount up.

I mean, if all you did was 'portraiture' ... you could have your 85mm and 135mm lenses and just about be done with that. "Macro" ... there are only two or three lenses involved with that, too.

Once you open your photography world up ... you never have enough glass!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.

flickr & Sdi