Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vacation pics...

Hey guys, I have not posted very many pics so I thought I would throw some out there to the wolves. These are from our recent vacation to Gatlinburg, TN with a few of our friends.
    Remember, I just do this as a hobby...keep it fair.

A creek just a block away from downtown Gatlinburg.

I know I am going to hear "crop, crop, crop" but, I didn't edit it before I put it on me web album. And, frankly, I don't feel like going back and redoing it just yet...

Our group shot, just before we left the cabin to head back home....

Even though it was near 60 deg. in the sun, the shade provided enough shelter for the snow to last the whole day we hiked. Of course, the trail was VERY muddy!

I just thought this picture was funny because Cana was playing with Brandon's ear...

The final group shot after the "hike."

I know her face is a tad bit out of focus but, composition wise, this was the best picture of this scene. All the other pictures she wasn't looking into the camera.

Thanks!!!

Great shots overall, and very nice job on the first shot. The rest are good examples of the other reason we buy DSLRs... to have much better personal pictures. The intention isn't for art (like the first one) but they sure make the family photo album much more pleasant.

IRT to last one, kids are tough for that. It's hard to get a wide enough aperture to get the shutter speed up enough for motion blur, but keep the aperture wide enough to know you are getting an in focus shot for just the right moment.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Not bad at all! You should be happy with how they turned out!

What camera/lens? (should add it to your signature)

The only thing is the big group shot probably doesn't need that much leg room (doesn't need legs at all IMO) and could use more scenery, which is why you chose to pose in front of a nice picturesque scene!)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thanks for the input...I will crop the group shot later to see how it turns out. Of course, I can't go back and "redo" the picture (although I wish we could.) ;0)

I added the info to my signature. Also, all the group shots were taken with my handy wireless shutter release!! Yay! SOOOOOO much better than running back and forth to set the 10 sec delay!
    THANKS DAD!

Damn, you got some gear! Kit lens + G lens! Not to mention, that beautiful flash!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

No Wolves here. we "et em"

1. Works for me.
    2. Not necessary to crop tight on every portrait. It's good to include some background if it's interesting. I'd give them back their feet though.
    3. Soft
    4. Exposure
    5. Exposure
    6. Exposure
    7. Exposure

I know it's difficult with snow in the scene but you need use that compensation button (and look at the histogram).

_
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the input! Very constructive. I agree that the last few are underexposed. I am not making excuses, but We we kind of taking pics "on the fly" because it was getting dark and we were trying to get out of the woods. I am not really good enough (knowledgeable enough) yet to make the adjustments in the field "on the fly."

Thanks again for the input...

Trow Gill North Yorkshire UK

Name:  TROWGILL.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  464.5 KB
    This was pic was taken last September, whilst her indoors and myself decided to go hiking to Gaping Gill. Weather was wet and miserable, despite the sun rays reflecting of the side of Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by jcray19 View Post
    Thanks for the input! Very constructive. I agree that the last few are underexposed. I am not making excuses, but We we kind of taking pics "on the fly" because it was getting dark and we were trying to get out of the woods. I am not really good enough (knowledgeable enough) yet to make the adjustments in the field "on the fly."

Thanks again for the input...
    Correct exposure not easy to judge especially if you've upgraded from a P&S which does everything for you.
    It's even harder for the cameras' AE system which is brainless and needs a bit of help.
    The AE system simply averages out the brightness of the scene giving equal importance to snow or large areas of bright sky, whereas we want the emphasis on the subject.

First thing is to consider choosing "Centre weighted" or "Spot" metering depending on the scene in front of you. "Spot" will certainly help in the snow or say a helicopter in a bright sky.

Another option is to use the zoom. Looking at the picture of "Cana and Brandon", zoom in to include an area from Brandon's waist to the top of his head, hit the "AE Lock" button, zoom back and release the shutter. Because the snow was excluded from the scene, the meter will do a better job on the subject or rather the job you want it to do. This is a lot easier than it sounds. (Tip. you can set the AE Lock button to "toggle" on/off with dconsecutive presses. Well, you can on the A700).

Next up is the "Exposure Compensation" button/wheel. This seems more daunting to a beginner because it's down to you to make the call in adjusting the camera metering and by how much. It takes practice but essentially all you are doing is the same as in the "Zoom" example and eventually you just get to Know what it takes.

If you're still not certain of your chosen setting (and who is?) or it's a "once in a lifetime" shot, don't be afraid to change the "Drive Mode" to autobracket and increase your chance of success.

Finally, if all else fails, rescue the shot in Photoshop (or something).

WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!

Picture taken from Lower Bentham

Name:  Penyghent.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  173.6 KB
    The beatiful North Yorkshire countryside with Penyghent in the background.