Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to India

Off to India

Tomorrow I'm off to India (my home country) for a 3 weeks vacation. I'm headed to the commercial capital Mumbai(Bombay) and maybe a few hill stations. I'm taking only my Sigma 18-200mm there (maybe the 50mm macro, undecided) with my flash cause I'm worried about the camera/camera bag being stolen. Basically the last time I was there I was 6 years old and the Olympics was being held in Barcelona, Spain ...so I don't know how it is in reality....so I'm taking the precaution of reducing my equipment making it easier for me to keep an eye on it...Any advice on how to keep my equipment safe/r???

Note: most of the time, apart from my camera, I'm in charge of taking care and carrying my niece....I'll be using my Lowpro Slingshot 200 bag....

I'm mostly picking up a Netbook for the trip with the following specifications..
    Intel atom 1.6, 1GB Ram DD2, 160GB, XP Home(will upgrade to Pro), 10' screen (1028*600)

Anyone have any experience with these in regard to general photo editing (i.e Photoshop 7 and DPP).

Thanks..

p.s won't have net access for 99.99% of the trip....aaaaaah!!!!
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by faisal View Post
    I'm taking only my Sigma 18-200mm there (maybe the 50mm macro, undecided) with my flash cause I'm worried about the camera/camera bag being stolen.
    Isn't that all the expensive stuff? I would say the most important thing to do to avoid having your stuff stolen is to be aware of what's going on around you. I'd also suggest keeping your bag in front of you if you end up in a thick crowd.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

It is the most expensive lens...but it is also the do it all lens...I was planning to get a second hand cheap Sigma 70-300 to pair it with my kit lens....dropped the idea cause don't want to be found changing lens in the middle of no where...I'm still contemplating on the macro cause I know the bug/flower shots I'll get there will be amazing, just don't know if I'll have the time for them...I'm also planning not to use my battery grip making my camera look smaller...

I'll need to see how I can wear my bag in front...thanks!!!
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Digital
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Portfolio

definitely keep the backpack on at all times. just make sure you don't EVER set it down. i had a gf's mom that got my (state of the art $900 hi-8mm sony camera) stolen when she went to India in 2000. man i was pissed.

i'm VERY paranoid about losing my equipment or getting it stolen. i keep mine on me at all times, i hardly ever leave it at the house, NEVER in the car. if it ever gets stolen from me, it'll be robbed from me.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

I'll need to see how I can wear my bag in front...thanks!!!
    With a Slingshot, if you're just passing through a crowd I'd just flip it around to the front like you would to take your camera out. If you're going to be in a crowd for awhile I'd just put it on backwards, as it might be more comfortable.

When I was in Rome I met a woman in a laundromat who had her wallet stolen on way there. The wallet was in her purse with a zipper and a flap and they managed to get it out without her noticing.

One of the nice features on the Flipside is that the zippers are on the part of the pack that contacts your back. This makes it harder for someone to open without taking it off. Those thieves are crafty though.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    definitely keep the backpack on at all times. just make sure you don't EVER set it down. i had a gf's mom that got my (state of the art $900 hi-8mm sony camera) stolen when she went to India in 2000. man i was pissed.

i'm VERY paranoid about losing my equipment or getting it stolen. i keep mine on me at all times, i hardly ever leave it at the house, NEVER in the car. if it ever gets stolen from me, it'll be robbed from me.
    Paranoid is my third name

That's why I'm taking the Sony W90 with me if I don't feel comfortable taking my camera out at all....taking okay shots is better than losing a camera....

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    With a Slingshot, if you're just passing through a crowd I'd just flip it around to the front like you would to take your camera out. If you're going to be in a crowd for awhile I'd just put it on backwards, as it might be more comfortable.

When I was in Rome I met a woman in a laundromat who had her wallet stolen on way there. The wallet was in her purse with a zipper and a flap and they managed to get it out without her noticing.

One of the nice features on the Flipside is that the zippers are on the part of the pack that contacts your back. This makes it harder for someone to open without taking it off. Those thieves are crafty though.
    Indian thieve are no less crafty....I know from the stories my parents have told me...scary!!!

Flipping is a good idea...only issue is when in a crowd my niece will be in my arms....cause being the only guy apart from dad, I'd be required to carry her when required...

as I'll be carrying less equipment, I also plan to somehow change the inside setup of the bag making it difficult to access the bag...for me or anyone else....

Put it backwards..I didn't get you!!!
    Film
    Digital
    Portfolio

anyone see or read "slumdog millionaire"? A damn fine movie!! five stars from me. It's about a kid growing up in the slums of India.

Anyway good luck on your trip Faisal!

I'm so relaxed with my gear I'm ashamed to talk about it.....
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

I always try to wear something with 2 straps instead of 1. I've travelled to a lot of "Dodgy" places, and I've seen bag straps just slit with a knife. The bag falls off and the guy (or girl) runs. 2 straps are harder to cut without you noticing. Also, little locks on all of the zippers works well too. It can be a bit annoying but trust me from experience. In Russia, 3 out of 4 of us had locks on our zippers and our other friend got robbed. Didn't even notice until an hour later. My last bit of advice is Travel Insurance. I always buy it and I've had to use it twice. I really don't believe in buying equipment that I'm not going to use, so use it but just be prepared to lose it.

All this being said, have a fantastic trip. I'm sure I can speak for us all when I say we are anticipating some great panos from you upon your return
    CANON 7D, 400D, 24-104 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 28-105, 50 1.8, 75-300, 430 EX II, BG-E3
    SIGMA EX 10-20 DC HSM
    KENKO Extension Tube set 12mm, 20mm, 36mm

http://www.mbimages.ca

Tomorrow I'm off to India (my home country) for a 3 weeks vacation. I'm headed to the commercial capital Mumbai(Bombay) and maybe a few hill stations.
    First of all, welcome to India I think you'll love it here.. There's so much contrast here in everything. Seeing how you like to capture the different shades of Dubai, I think you'll pretty much end up with a sore shutter finger by the time you are back

I'm taking only my Sigma 18-200mm there (maybe the 50mm macro, undecided) with my flash cause I'm worried about the camera/camera bag being stolen....I'm taking the precaution of reducing my equipment making it easier for me to keep an eye on it...Any advice on how to keep my equipment safe/r???
    Don't worry so much Just be alert and take care of your stuff like you do whenever you're out shooting in Dubai and you'll be fine. Your choice of equipment seems perfect.. two lenses, 1 body and a flash... this covers everything from wide to telephoto, macro to landscapes. Leave the grip behind but carry all the extra batteries and flash cards

I'm mostly picking up a Netbook for the trip with the following specifications..
    Intel atom 1.6, 1GB Ram DD2, 160GB, XP Home(will upgrade to Pro), 10' screen (1028*600)

Anyone have any experience with these in regard to general photo editing (i.e Photoshop 7 and DPP)
    These are great for travel.. i used one for a week long trip recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. The main idea behind these netbooks is they let you stay connected in a small lightweight package. I'd recommend you get one with the 6cell battery...this would give you backup of around 5-6hrs.

I did run PS CS3 on it and though you can do the stuff, however its pretty slow. These machines are not really designed for this application.. otherwise, they are pretty snappy for general applications like mail, internet browsing, watching movies, music, storing your RAW files, etc. Check out the Lenovo 4231 53Q or the Asus 1000H.

p.s won't have net access for 99.99% of the trip....aaaaaah!!!!
    That should not be a problem at all... just ask one of your relatives or friends in Mumbai to pick up a prepaid USB Data Card for you. These are readily available from various service providers (Airtel, Relaince, Tata Indicom, BSNL, Vodafone, etc) and are pretty cheap. The initial cost of the device and connection would be around $40-50 and around $10/month for unlimited net access. Speeds are also mostly acceptable. Most connections would allow you to roam across the country with the came connection

Finally, theres absolutely no need to be paranoid...just chill out and have a great vacation!
    You first see a photo with your mind, and then capture it with your camera!

Canon - EOS 50D | BG-E2N | 70-200mm f/4 L IS | 400mm f/5.6 L | Sigma - 18-50mm f/2.8 EX | 30mm f/1.4 EX | 150mm f/2.8 Macro EX | | Misc - 430EX | OC-E3 | EF-12 Ex Tube | Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 2x TC | FotoFile Backpack AW | Lowepro Nova 3 AW | Tripod | Panasonic FZ5.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Viky View Post
    First of all, welcome to India I think you'll love it here.. There's so much contrast here in everything. Seeing how you like to capture the different shades of Dubai, I think you'll pretty much end up with a sore shutter finger by the time you are back
    Panoramas...if I have the time...it's less of a vacation and more of a work trip for my parents..I'm just tagging along as the baggage handler...

Don't worry so much Just be alert and take care of your stuff like you do whenever you're out shooting in Dubai and you'll be fine. Your choice of equipment seems perfect.. two lenses, 1 body and a flash... this covers everything from wide to telephoto, macro to landscapes. Leave the grip behind but carry all the extra batteries and flash cards
    When out in Dubai, I'm never alert in regards to my equipment...we usually don't have too much trouble. Plus hardly any crowds....I'm keeping the grip cause my sister said it's better to have a better grip for the camera....

These are great for travel.. i used one for a week long trip recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. The main idea behind these netbooks is they let you stay connected in a small lightweight package. I'd recommend you get one with the 6cell battery...this would give you backup of around 5-6hrs.

I did run PS CS3 on it and though you can do the stuff, however its pretty slow. These machines are not really designed for this application.. otherwise, they are pretty snappy for general applications like mail, internet browsing, watching movies, music, storing your RAW files, etc. Check out the Lenovo 4231 53Q or the Asus 1000H.
    6cell...will keep that in mind....I'm already looking at the lenovo one...going out today to check them out physically...
    I think CS3 required higher specification. That's why I was thinking of using 7.0 or even maybe lightroom 2.0 trial version...whichever...

That should not be a problem at all... just ask one of your relatives or friends in Mumbai to pick up a prepaid USB Data Card for you. These are readily available from various service providers (Airtel, Relaince, Tata Indicom, BSNL, Vodafone, etc) and are pretty cheap. The initial cost of the device and connection would be around $40-50 and around $10/month for unlimited net access. Speeds are also mostly acceptable. Most connections would allow you to roam across the country with the came connection

Finally, theres absolutely no need to be paranoid...just chill out and have a great vacation!
    I'll buy it once I'm there....just buy the USB and plug it in....nothing else???

Paranoid...well I think I'll be fine once I land there....

Thanks!!!
    Film
    Digital
    Portfolio