Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    130
    Yeah, I'm kind of concerned as to why you'd want to ditch it though.

    Have any pictures? PM me with some more info. Would around $100 be fair? I have no idea how much they go for used either.
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

    Give me feedback on Flickr

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,554
    Matt ... the 70-300 is useful outdoors and is lightweight. If you do not have a 70-200mm, yet, it is hard for you to understand that you would much prefer to use that, instead, once you have both.

    The 70-300 is a very economical solution for telephoto, but once you start to invest in your lenses ... by adding the more expensive ones, like the 70-200mm and others, the 70-300 becomes rather redundant and unused. I can fully appreciate where 'dr4gon' is coming from, he learned what he wanted from the 70-300 ... and it has been retired by a 4x more costlier lens. I suspect that he would much rather see this reasonable lens get used by you, so you can learn with it, instead of sleeping peacefully in his lens case.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA.
    Posts
    1,161
    Matt I think almost every one of us 'senior' members has the Tamron 70-300 for many it was out starter / learning telephoto, I think it is a very good lens and a outstanding lens for the price. I agree since I 'bought up' and got the 70-200 I dont use the other one as much, but one of the main reasons I got the 70-200 was for the low light use. For outdoor use in the sun it is fine, and for the price would be the one if it was bad waether, dusty, muddy or people throwing stuff LOL
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,554

    Thumbs up Graduating at the top of your glass

    Glass graduation is a tough row to hoe, because you still want to get your money's worth out of the "older" glass, but in your gut ... you can no longer tolerate the images you get from it. Weird, huh?

    The best thing to do (although I rarely subscribe to it, personally) is to sell the "no longer used" glass to someone who will use it and cannot come up with the extra scratch to go "big time." This removes the temptation of using it, yourself ... by feeling guilty and compelled to ... plus, also makes you concentrate on using your "newer" or "upgrade" lens.

    Another aspect, which is a more altruistic aspect, is that by selling this "reduced use" lens to another member is that they get a reliable and relatively low-cost lens from a fellow forum participant and can get more use out of it, than you ever would in the future. The hobby grows and the glass gets used.

    For whatever period of time they put it to work, until they upgrade ... and then it goes on, again, to someone else until it no longer is useful or working. Lenses can have a very long and productive life, if they are treated well.

    My early stuff ...

    Name:  Minolta-SONY-glass copy.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  406.4 KB

    Things have changed, since then.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-29-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,204
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Matt ... the 70-300 is useful outdoors and is lightweight. If you do not have a 70-200mm, yet, it is hard for you to understand that you would much prefer to use that, instead, once you have both.

    The 70-300 is a very economical solution for telephoto, but once you start to invest in your lenses ... by adding the more expensive ones, like the 70-200mm and others, the 70-300 becomes rather redundant and unused. I can fully appreciate where 'dr4gon' is coming from, he learned what he wanted from the 70-300 ... and it has been retired by a 4x more costlier lens. I suspect that he would much rather see this reasonable lens get used by you, so you can learn with it, instead of sleeping peacefully in his lens case.
    Yup!

    Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Matt I think almost every one of us 'senior' members has the Tamron 70-300 for many it was out starter / learning telephoto, I think it is a very good lens and a outstanding lens for the price. I agree since I 'bought up' and got the 70-200 I dont use the other one as much, but one of the main reasons I got the 70-200 was for the low light use. For outdoor use in the sun it is fine, and for the price would be the one if it was bad waether, dusty, muddy or people throwing stuff LOL
    So we're senior now huh? I don't feel any smarter!

    Quote Originally Posted by GotToyota? View Post
    Yeah, I'm kind of concerned as to why you'd want to ditch it though.

    Have any pictures? PM me with some more info. Would around $100 be fair? I have no idea how much they go for used either.
    PMed.
    flickr

    Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,554

    Question What has changed?

    So ... I have to ask ... anyone changed their "first born" glass choice?

    I am still a heavy 17-50mm man, myself. Although I know look for opportunity to shoot wide ... a lot more than before.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA.
    Posts
    1,161
    Still tamron 70-200 maybe way to much got to look at some others! No matter what I am planning on doing the 17-50 is always in the bag and at hand, maybe need to put it on the camera more often.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,204
    Tamron 70-300mm and 90mm have gone out for the 70-200 and 100mm macro. I can safely say, I do not plan on getting any more Taamrons .
    flickr

    Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    602
    The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 spends about 85-90% on my camera, which isn't saying much since I only have 3 lenses. But, I find it covers a great range, produces good bokeh, and deals well in low light.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

    Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,554

    Question Missing a good W-I-D-E end ...

    Where is your TAMRON SP AF 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO, Darin? or perhaps the TAMRON SP AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 XR Di LD?

    Probably get both new for less than $800 for the pair.

    Time get caught up, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-14-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr & Sdi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •