Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Getting things under control in the forum

Welcome to Don’s Corner …

Hey, look … I know a lot of you guys/gals are pretty new to all this and I have to say that "there REALLY IS a whole more to this than just taking an image, cropping it and throwing it up on the video screen."

One thing that initially gets overlooked is Color Management. Basically, that boils down to a “red” actually being red, not purplish-red, orangy-red, yellowish-red or what have you, but RED. To do that, a standard needs to be established between your camera, your monitor, your printer.

Right now, you probably have what you believe to be the best color available that you monitor can produce. Maybe, maybe not. You need to standardize it.

“Why?” I can hear people asking, "It looks just fine to me.".

The reason is that WE all have to look at YOUR work … and if we are all seeing it “differently”, how in the heck can we accurately advise you to make corrective changes to improve on it? So, in a way, you owe it to the people you are submitting your “art” to, for fair and evaluative criticism, to at least have a fair method of doing so, without it being tainted (seems like a favorite word these days) by a monitor, literally, “out of control.”

huey to the rescue (huey on YouTUBE) (<-click here for some explanation)

Name:  huey.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  22.8 KB

“The PANTONE® huey corrects the color on your monitor so photos and designs print more accurately, game graphics are more intense and movies are more true–to–life. Easy–to–use right out of the box, huey adapts your monitor for changing room lighting and applies your personal preferences for viewing accurate color all of the time.”

Aside from your camera, after profiling your monitor, this one component assures you that what YOU see ... is what everyone else SHOULD SEE. Now, we are on a more level playing field.

Of course there are more improved methods for doing this available, but this is pretty basic to real participation on the forums, when you are asking about “White balance” and “skin tones.” If you have not added this color correcting feature to your computer system … don’t expect much sympathy for your plight. This may be hard to hear, but “YOU are your own worst enemy.

Here is a link to get you started and don’t bother complaining about whether or not it is necessary. I am here to tell you it is! Get one and stop the moaning already.

Find one where you can ... but get one first, do the profile ... and THEN ask your evaluative questions. Then, some people should be able to really help. Consider a "first step" to improving your work.

Thanks
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-23-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

And if you shoot or post process in Adobe RGB don't forget to convert to sRGB before you post.

Good point, Peek ... the number one aspect of all of this is ... we are speaking the same color language. Tongues does not get it done.

Thanks
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

It's like a Huey commercial...

I've been looking at this stuff more the past couple of days. Spyder 2 express, Spyder 3 Pro, Pantone Huey, Xrite i1. They all seem like they have some kind of flaw. What is the reason so many people have trouble getting these things to work for them? Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Spyder 3 Pro.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I had another questions that's a little OT. If I shoot in RAW does it matter if I'm using sRGB or adobeRGB?
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

One of the problems I ran into was that some monitors simply cannot adjust far enough to provide the brightness level necessary to conform with the required standard. Also, some people do their calibration in a sun lit room and that can really throw off the calibration.

You need to set it with consistent lighting ... same amount, every time you do your digital editing. There should be an adequate amount of room lighting for the LCD (CRT) screen to be balanced and not the "only" source of light in the room.

Also, if you can wear a gray shirt, when you edit, that can neutralize you presence contaminating the calibration and editing.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    I had another questions that's a little OT. If I shoot in RAW does it matter if I'm using sRGB or adobeRGB?
    No you can convert it later.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Only $90? I have been putting this off for a little while, but agree that it is incredibly important.

I had heard about the spyder, seems like I was hearing numbers closer to $300-400. Why is the huey so (relatively) cheap?
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

The way the units go about the correction is different. The huey is pretty much an automated process, it is my understanding that the Spyder gives you some more latitude with corrections.

Personally, I use X-Rite GretagMacBeth Eye-One Match 3 system ... which offers some printer & projection monitor calibration, also. Each unit offers some additional capability, the huey is the basic level. It's enough, unless you start printing for serious use.

flickr® & Sdi

I believe the Spyder 2 Express version is more automated. The Spyder 3 Pro gives more controls and the Elite version gives even more control. Do you know anything about X-rite Eye One Display LT (is it eye one or i1? I've seen both)? I've been considering this one too, but haven't found a ton of info on it.
    Lukas

Flickr