Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony A700 Focus Issue

Hi,

I am only new to SLR photography and have just bought a Sony A700. I have just started playing around with my camera and have noticed an issue with focusing. I am not sure if it is expected behaviour or not, or if it can be turned off somehow.

The camera seems to be constantly trying to focus without me pressing the shutter button half way down. I find it annoying and would like to turn it off. I have a 100mm macro lens and trying to get a macro shot with the camera constantly focusing is quite hard. Even when I am walking around not even trying to take a photo the camera is always trying to focus and the noise gets a bit annoying

I have used a Nikon SLR before and it only seems to auto focus when the shutter button is half pressed. I am not sure if this is just a Sony feature. I know I can set the camera to manual but I would like to obviously make use of the auto focus.

Is anyone able to suggest if there is an menu option I can turn on so that the camera will only auto focus when I half press the shutter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Apart from this issue I am really enjoying the camera and have been really pleased with the image quality

Talking Hello and welcome, SAF

Welcome to the SONY DSLR forum ... and in response to your question:

The A700 has a "prefocus" eye sensor called "Eye-Start AF", just below the viewfinder, that detects your face as you bring the camera within four inches of your eye or anything else, it seems. This is suppose to help in reducing the focus time of the camera and, yes, it can be disabled.

It's under Custom Menu 1 ... "Eye-Start AF" ... On or Off

By default, it is "On", as you already have alluded to.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

not sure about the a700 but the A2/3/350 has the VF focus where if it detects if something is close to the viewfinder, it will automatically activate the AF motor. you can turn in off in the settings menu.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thanks very much Don for your prompt reply and for welcoming me to the forum. Really appreciate it

That did the trick !! I am a lot happier with the camera now

Welcome! That's what we do, help people with their problems and enjoy their pictures afterwords!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hey, 'saf' ... got any images to share, yet?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi