Name:  HVLF56AM.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  4.0 KB

&

HVL-F36AM
    Name:  HVLF36AM.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  3.4 KB

in Minolta clothing are the recommended flashes for the digital cameras.
    (Not taking into consideration the new generation - HVL-F42AM and the awesome HVL-F58AM)

HVL-F58AM

Name:  hvl-f58am-sidebounce.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  93.2 KBName:  HLV-F58AM rear.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  17.9 KB

The others (earlier models) were designed with the Film Cameras in mind.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Thanks Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Mark ... do me a favor and put the camera in Manual Mode for your settings.

Use the the following settings with your current flash, just for a test:

Aperture: f/5.6
    Shutter Speed: 125
    ISO: 100

Subject distance ... 5 to 8 feet away

Give that a shot and see if it is still "washed out" Believe me, I know about older flashes ... LOL Just look at the image in my Signature for the "Gear List"
    Tried this with both lens on a tripod with the settings you suggested and the pictures worked fine. The kit lens was darker than the Tamron but not too bad. Recalled something you had posted on another topic about the Auto mode. Switched the camera over to Auto and the washed out pictures appeared again.

Thank you I have learnt something in such away that I will not forget.

Mark welcome to the forum. Hope to see some images soon

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEinarson View Post
    Tried this with both lens on a tripod with the settings you suggested and the pictures worked fine. The kit lens was darker than the Tamron but not too bad. Recalled something you had posted on another topic about the Auto mode. Switched the camera over to Auto and the washed out pictures appeared again.
    "AUTO" on a SONY DSLR with a non-SONY flash is a mistake.waiting to happen. For whatever reason, it expects TTL performance out of a non-TTL flash. So it sets itself (aperture, ISO, WB and shutter speed) to the TTL compliment the flash should be setting up for. Unfortunately ... it "dials down" the flash power of the flash to match and ... YOU CANNOT DIAL DOWN the power, because it is a non-TTL flash. It goes off at FULL power and hence the wash-out.

Using that flash will require a manual setting to compliment it. I'm glad my recommended settings worked out. If it looks a little dark, just set the shutter speed to 60, instead of 125, and that will add a full f-stop more of light.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

welcome mark. this is a great place to learn. although ive been here a month or two im still confused lol. alot of stuff to keep track of. and just so you no don is like the godfather of photography if he tells you to do something do it hes the man.
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

Hey, Millz ... lets not get nuts ...

I've been formally trained and had a number of years behind the shutter, but that does not make me omniscient ... but, I am interested. I'd like to see everyone succeed in their endeavors ... to be able to present and control their effort with the best effect and result.

If I can offer some insight and background knowledge, that's great ... if not, there are plenty of others on here that are easily quite as interested, probably more so. Then again, there are those who really are ... just "interesting." LOL

Most of all, just enjoy your hobby ... and see what you can do!

flickr & Sdi

no matter what you say YOU THE MAN. also mark there are a number of what i would call experts on here just post the pics and they will tell you whats wrong or what you need to do to correct them. A month back i took some amazing fireworks pics and they turned out wonderful. Without the instruction of this forum im convinced they would not have come out very good at all. so fire away with the questions youll be amazed at how quickly you get a response.
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

Which comes first omniscient or omnipotent, and how do you work up from on to the other? And isn't there a little blue pill you can take for one of those, oh no wait thats something else.
    Seriously the best thing about the forum is the exchange of ideas and input. Take the advice and suggestions of the more experianced and advanced shooters here, do it on your own, post it and take the comments and build on it. Everyone here can learn from each other and make 'better' neater cooler wilder omages then we were!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Hey, what in the heck happened to Mark ... I think we lost him!

flickr & Sdi

You scare away another member Don.LOL You have to let them post a few times before you start with all the technical talk. You lost him at Hello.LOL

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter