Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Back focus on Lenses - Tamron 17-50mm and Sony 50mm SAL50-F14

Ok, so I've tested all my lenses, some many times, and found that the Tamron 17-50mm has back focus (focusing behind the AF point) at 17mm and the Sony SAL-50F14 also has back focus (but more noticeable because it's F/1.4 and at 50mm versus a WA 17mm).

The Tamron I suppose isn't too affected because at 17mm you wouldn't be using this at its MFD anyway. But it's there nonetheless.

The Sony is disappointing. It's a brand new lens and would expect Sony to have better quality control.

Test Setup:

My very aggressive setup of batteries close together. 1" apart wasn't showing much. Spot Focus, AF on center battery. 2 sec timer on tripod.

TAMRON 17-50mm F/2.8 (shots at F/2.8)

above is 17mm showing back focus

above is 35mm, focus is OK

above is 50mm, focus is OK

SONY SAL-50F14

above is 50mm @f/1.4 showing back focus

above is 50mm @ F/2 showing back focus

Question is, what should I do about these two lenses?

Regarding the Tamron, I think I can live with it unless anyone here things I should send it back to Tamron. It has ~5.5 years of warranty left.

Regarding the Sony, it's unacceptable and I need to either send it back to JR.com or send it to Sony for servicing (I don't believe I should have to pay for the shipping for their failure, it's brand new).

I definitely would not send both back at the same time, otherwise I wouldn't have anything to shoot with.

Could anyone also comment about Tamron and Sony's servicing and turnaround time.
    Last edited by dr4gon; 01-16-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II