Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What is your current post process pixel manipulation software?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lightroom (ver 1 or 2)

8 50.00%
  • Photoshop Elements

5 31.25%
  • Photoshop CS

8 50.00%
  • SONY Image Data Suite

6 37.50%
  • Other -> Please elaborate by posting answer

4 25.00%
  • None … just what comes out of the end of my USB Cable/Memory card

0 0%
  • What’s post process? Or better yet … a pixel?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question SONY DSLR users ...

What is your current post process pixel manipulation software?

Feel free to elaborate why you feel this is all you need or whether or not if is enough or you do not appreciate the question
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-11-2009 at 02:13 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Lightroom + Photoshop and some custom/built in filters manipulations, etc....

I also use Sony RAW drivers to view the thumbnails in vista to help make things easier when browsing through explorer.

Lightroom is wonderful for me because it keeps things nicely organized and uniform. Before, I would have random dated and named folders and wouldn't know if I had or had not unloaded my pictures.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Ah poop - I didn't read all the options, so didn't check Sony's software. I use 'other' = Picasa3 for much of my general-needs work (rotate, crop, simple lighting, occasional collage) and Elements 6 for RAW and detail work. I occasionally use IDC, the interface isn't great but since I'm not used to Elements entirely it's a tossup for now. One shot that I labored over in Elements came up right the first time in IDC, so I can't justify abandoning it just 'cause it's quirky!
    I also bought 'other' = NeatImage, but haven't used it enough to catch its subtleties yet. My first use was overcooked, noise was gone but so were the bird's feathers (looked more like a furry hamster with a beak).
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

I use, to the best of my ability Sony software, I also have lightroom ver.2 "a free copy from a good friend" and elements 6 that my daughter uses for the video and knows her way around elements somewhat, we also have paintshop on the computer but I don't use it.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    I use, to the best of my ability Sony software, I also have lightroom ver.2 "a free copy from a good friend" and elements 6 that my daughter uses for the video and knows her way around elements somewhat, we also have paintshop on the computer but I don't use it.
    You should get photoshop too and start messing with image masks (selectively applying different modifications to only a selective part of the image) for adding bokeh and everything else.
    Last edited by dr4gon; 01-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I've been messing with a lot of different pixel manipulators, but Photoshop CS3 and LightRoom 2 are the one-two punch for most things. They are ones I would recommend for nearly any photographer. LR2 has improved so much over the earlier version, it is almost like an entire rethink of its tools.

Your skills improve each time you use them ... and any tutorial or class you can get will result in a much deeper appreciation of their capabilities.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I use Photoshop CS2, I find the RAW importing better than Lightroom 2.2 (explanation below).

The only post processing I do to my photos is the auto tone you can find in either program, but I find that it looks much better in CS2, not to mention it takes up much less resources.

-Matt
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Give me feedback on Flickr

I have been using lightroom for almost everything. I have a little bit of photoshop experience from working at Kinko's for a while, but it was mostly using it in ways it wasn't intended (almost as a substitute for Illustrator.)

I bring everything into <User Folder>/Pictures/RAW/<year>/<date> with lightroom, and then use lightroom for any cropping or punching up I want to do. Then I export as a high quality jpeg to a very un-organized folder system within <User Folder>/Pictures/jpegs/. I let Time Machine do backups, and I also have been trying (and failing) to make DVD backups of all the RAW and the exported jpegs to leave offsite (my mother's house).
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I have been using lightroom for almost everything. I have a little bit of photoshop experience from working at Kinko's for a while, but it was mostly using it in ways it wasn't intended (almost as a substitute for Illustrator.)

I bring everything into <User Folder>/Pictures/RAW/<year>/<date> with lightroom, and then use lightroom for any cropping or punching up I want to do. Then I export as a high quality jpeg to a very un-organized folder system within <User Folder>/Pictures/jpegs/. I let Time Machine do backups, and I also have been trying (and failing) to make DVD backups of all the RAW and the exported jpegs to leave offsite (my mother's house).
    Except for the time machine part, that's how I do it. Extract it to a jumbled mess of photos to be placed on flickr
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Except for the time machine part, that's how I do it. Extract it to a jumbled mess of photos to be placed on flickr
    I've been thinking about switching to PC for my photo handling tasks. I've gone as far as to throw a 320GB drive in my MacBook, but I'm already starting to push that out with all of the RAW photos. I could move back to a PC desktop and throw all the cheap HDDs at it that I want, and I think LR2 runs a little faster on the PC, which is kinda sad considering how much Adobe favored Apple for so many years. I guess with stuff like iPhoto, Aperture, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Logic, etc, Apple is sorta invading Adobe's space, and they don't seem to like it much.

Adobe originally left Apple when Apple was struggling so much there was a mass exodus of creative professionals from the Mac to PC, but now that the Mac is on a bit of a comeback, I'm disappointed to see Adobe's rather lackluster support.

Any other Mac users here?
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr