Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: raw images

You shoot in RAW, save as JPEG via Photoshop or Lightroom (so you can get prints, post online, etc).
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Give me feedback on Flickr

Horses for courses, Guys; both methods of shooting, RAW or JPEG, have their place.

Speaking for myself, nothing I've yet posted has been shot in RAW, only in JPEG. In the couple of months I've had the Camera I haven't had the time to invest in truly getting to grips with RAW processing, whereas I do have sufficient PS knowhow in dealing with JPEGs.
    It is clear that the RAW workflow can better rescue a badly exposed image or one with to high a dynamic range but I am pretty confident in my own ability to get this right in Camera in the first place. Can shooting in RAW encourage sloppy camera work?
    I will certainly get to grips with shooting RAW in time, but I have to say that I am very happy with the JPEG images to date.

For shooting a small sequence of shots of an interesting subject I will be using RAW +JPEG and comparing the results. I'm expecting the higher degree of control to be worthwhile. Whether the extra investment in time is worth it will be interesting and instructive.

When on Holiday I shoot at least 20 rolls of film (700 images) and an awful lot more with digital. Shooting RAW +JPEG I would need three to four 8GB cards and I have no idea how long post processing would take, but looong. I think this will remain a JPEG shoot.

There are other issues to consider as well. You need
    A computer with serious horsepower
    A lot of storage (Bluray disks make this easier) and You'll probably end up storing both RAW and JPEG.
    All the RAW formats are proprietary and may become unreadable at some point in the future as technology moves on. At that time you may have to convert all your files to a new format which may be a pretty big job. Being an open format JPEG is likely to last much longer.
    A lot more that I can't think of right now.

At the end of the day It's down to individual choice but, for me, I think both methods are valid.

Peekayoh, Lightroom can convert all of your raw files to Digital Negative (.dng) files upon import. This also does away with sidecar files.

For me, JPEG is useless. I don't even shoot RAW + JPEG, just RAW. What would I use the JPEG for? I'm going to have one made from the RAW anyway and it will be much better than the one the camera generated for me.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Well either way, it's gonna get a work out to see what suits me best.
    Isn't .dng an Adobe propriety format?

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    Peekayoh, Lightroom can convert all of your raw files to Digital Negative (.dng) files upon import. This also does away with sidecar files.

For me, JPEG is useless. I don't even shoot RAW + JPEG, just RAW. What would I use the JPEG for? I'm going to have one made from the RAW anyway and it will be much better than the one the camera generated for me.
    Yeah, JPEG is just useless for me as well. That's what's taking up unnecessary space!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool To PRINT or not to PRINT? Hey, PRINT, w/o question

Look, as much as you guys ONLY want to shoot the images ... and have someone else do your printing ... the fact is, you are just cutting off a part of the process. Color management and a good printer are the "next step."

Also, this is where the art aspect and the respective costs increase, because printing is a "consumable" ... and like gasoline ... ink and paper cost real money. I do believe what you folks really need to do ... is get into that part of "the process" and SEE what you are missing. Some of the alternative papers are just this side of incredible. They can make your image look more than just awesome, but add texture and light reaction that you simply CANNOT get of of GLOSSY/MATTE prints.

Having a "quality" printing system in your own home allows you time to experiment and produce most excellent and archival prints (capable of lasting 100 years).

There is one aspect of this "digital generation" that I do believe gets overlooked quite a bit. This is low tech storage ... "low tech" meaning that no power is required to view it, other than sunlight or candle power. By relegating yourself to just digital media to view or display your work, you will always need electricity. Electrical failure means you are, quite literally, finished, until the power comes back on.

By printing low tech ... you could bury the work in a vault or with with a person ... for a hundred years ... and the images would still be there ... requiring nothing more than the light of day to be viewed. Family albums would last for generations ... without browning or fading to nothingness.

Lastly ... if you forego this step ... your work will be lost ... and a lot sooner than you suspect. If you think losing a media card is devastating ... just lose the power and "see" what happens!

Good luck.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-11-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

After we fill our bags o' glass. I just can't do as good of a job as Shutterfly and other online printing services, nor do I really want to have to deal with it right now. I hardly print anything anyway as it is. Plus after I get them printed, I have to store them lol (which I guess is part of the fun, which is at least for now, not (fun) for me.

Plus I need to get some more print worthy pictures!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool You can never go home, again ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Plus I need to get some more print worthy pictures!
    Okay ... now you just want to start a fight.

The fact is, most of us do not feel OUR OWN work is worth the time to print. Worst part is: Several years from now, you will curse the fact you actually thought and acted like this. I do speak from experience ... so, hey ... print, consarn it, and then decide to throw it away, later. You will not get many second chances at that FIRST CHANCE.

The "delete" key and "FORMAT Media?" selection are just a little TOO CONVENIENT?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-11-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I print my own on an Epson PX800FW.

Uh Don, wrong thread?
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod