Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another trip to the Hospital

I'm looking forward to posting about pictures I've taken rather than pictures of my organs.

After being released from the hospital on Wednesday after Tuesday's angioplasty I felt chest pains again on Thursday and decided it was worth going back to the hospital just to be certain. Being home alone and not able to drive post surgery this meant an ambulance ride even though I wasn't having a heart attack. EKG and blood was fine along the ride.

ER blood tests and EKG were fine and my surgeon happened to be in the hospital stopped by and after examining me felt that my pains were muscular and not heart related but that I'd have to spend the night per hospital policy since I had heart surgery 2 days prior. Totally relieved I was now in a 'noisy hotel environment' with nothing to fear and a couple of photo magazines to read that I brought with me.

Blood and EKGs every few hours, hospital food, but I was just killing time until an early morning release. My nurse practitioner then comes in and told me that my midnight EKG showed abnormalities so I had to wait for my cardiologist to come visit. He stops by and tells me that he felt the hospital staff made a bigger deal out of the EKG than necessary and that he was going to have a consult with his partner/surgeon to determine the best course of drug or surgical treatment. He also said he was reserving the ER room for 3pm just in case it was needed but could always be canceled.

3pm and 4pm come and go and I haven't heard from anyone other than the nursing staff who came by to insert two IVs, draw blood, and 'freshen up' my shave from 2 days prior.

At 4:30 a nurse comes in and tells me they are taking me down for surgery and I informed her that I'd decided against surgery. There was no way I was going to be operated on without having a consult with my doctors just because I had a table reservation. My family is now having coronary issues that I'm canceling the surgery. 20 minutes later the surgeon called from the ER room and he agreed with my call and felt the invasive procedure was to just check what he had done 2 days prior and he was confident that I wasn't having heart problems.

I will still need to have another angioplasty to get rid of another 50% blockage in a main artery and a 90% blockage in a branch but the risks go down if I wait 16 days following the first procedure. Yesterday definitely ranked as one of my most stressful days. Today I'm planning on taking a valium and choosing which HBO channel to watch as my most stressful activity.
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes

There must be a nurse there you have an eye out for or something but how about skipping this trip to hospital lark for a while, it's giving us heart problems.

Get well.

A few sleepless nights ahead then
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Good luck with it mate. Glad you took an interest in it yourself rather than just going with the flow of the health professionals.

Is that why you treated yourself to the photography gear last year, indulging your hobby in light of concerns?
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Good luck with it mate. Glad you took an interest in it yourself rather than just going with the flow of the health professionals.

Is that why you treated yourself to the photography gear last year, indulging your hobby in light of concerns?
    No, last year I was ignorant of my condition other than loosing 20lbs over the summer more for looking better than being healthier.

NOW I'm thinking of indulging myself in an exotic vacation and/or 18-21 year old before the surgery. It's a pretty short bucket list and if I made the wrong call with postponing the surgery both will be pleasant ways to pass on and make good stories for my friends and family to tell. (Is it too geeky to bring a Whibal card to see just what temp. the White Light is?)
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC

I cant express enough how sad this is to hear. I dont know you well from the Canon side, and have only seen a few posts from you on the Nikon side, but hearing this story makes me sad for you as if you were a family member.

Youve opened my eyes to a serious issue that I wouldve normally neglected or simply ignored. Youve really put everything in the proper perspective.

I truly wish you the best and hope you have a full and speedy recovery. And if it helps, take that vacation, or whatever else you want to do, you deserve it!

Please, keep us all updated.
    Last edited by jcon; 01-10-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Rich,
    Put your faith and trust in the Lord,
    I have already been praying for you.
    Take care of yourself.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

Thanks Jason. I'm really fortunate that they found and started clearing my pipes before I had a heart attack or stroke. The chest pains I had were from my 85lb dog jumping up and down on my chest in bed which just got me to go to the doctor and find out I had these problems. I would have been another heart attack/stroke statistic with no prior symptoms.

Having gone thru this I'd definitely recommend an angiogram or CT angiogram for anyone over 35 who isn't leading a very heart healthy life. (I'd enjoyed so much sausage thru the years I was expecting them to tell me they found fenel in my arteries-lol) It's MUCH better to read these types of posts than to type them so I hope others go in for this type of testing even when EKGs and other tests show no problems like all of my previous ones did.

Now I just need to find out how to get that 18-21 year old covered by my medical insurance the way they do those scooters for old people

Quote Originally Posted by RichNY View Post
    Now I just need to find out how to get that 18-21 year old covered by my medical insurance the way they do those scooters for old people
    Maybe she good provide remedial massage services.

Rich I got an advert for cardiac surgery in India at the bottom of your post - did you do that or is this site sending out focussed adverts now? Anyway more importantly take it easy & make the most of any pampering. I had a friend recently who went through the symptoms & ops just as you described even down to the follow up chest pains. He's back at work now & fighting fit. Puts me to shame. I look forward to you getting back to posting shots here.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them