Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: cRAW question

Hybrid View

cRAW question

Greetings,
    I'm new here, so please be gentle.

I've been looking for a DSLR for a while and was very interested in specs for the A100, then the A700 came out, and after much soul searching and a lot of research, I opted for the A700 (body only), and, based on this, and other forums, the SAL18250 lens.

Been playing with the setup for a week or so now, trying different things, and recently I decided to try the cRAW format. This morning I hooked up the camera to download the pix, and all I could see were the previously shot JPG files. I thought that the Sony IDC software would "automatically" see the cRAW files in the RAW --> File types ,and convert them, but all I get are little box icons and messages that the "format is not supported". What am I doing wrong? How do I get the cRAW's to convert to a viewable/saveable picture.

Thanks for the help
    GT

You need to go to the Image Quality Menu and choose to record in RAW or cRaw or the previous +jpeg. Be prepared for large files.
    The Sony RAW converter is not considered to be the best but is adequate to try the format.

The Sony software should see the files, but if you are bringing them in with Windows Exploder or Mac Finder they might not recognize it. The Mac has built in support for most RAW formats (including RAW from my a300, cRAW isn't an option so I don't know about that) but Windows doesn't by default. The Sony software doesn't add RAW reading capability to Windows, if that was what you were expecting.

Good choice on camera and lens btw. If I had a little bit more budget and knew what I knew now I would have started with that exact same setup. Next step would be to pick up a 50mm prime. If you have the money get the Sony f/1.4 for $350, if not get the Minolta f/1.7 off ebay for ~$130. Between those two lenses you should be able to get 75% of the shots you would want with good quality. And the prime will teach you a lot. The prime doesn't really feel very limited because you lose the ability to use a lot of focal lengths, but you gain the ability to use a lot of apertures.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Thumbs up Excellent beginning ...

'Chemtech' ... I like the way you think .... LOL. Excellent start!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ok, I see I need to clarify a few things --
    First, I'm already shooting in (Image Quality) cRAW in the camera.
    Second, I'm using WinXP, and have installed all the software from the CD, and have installed all the updates for all of the software (AND Firmware v4).

Also, since my first posting, I've also shot a couple of shots in regular RAW, just to see if I could see those files, and I'm getting the same results with those as I was with the cRAW files.

This is what I'm doing--

I plug in the USB cable into the A700 and turn it on. I cancel out of the program selection window that pops up and start the Image Data Converter SR Ver3 softare. From within the IDC porgram I select File -> Open ->(navigate to the DSLR-A700). Now, if I select the JPG/TIFF file type, all of the JPG's in the camera show up as thumbnails, however if I select the "RAW image files" all I see are thumbnails with the little picture icons -- not the pictures -- and this is for images saved as both cRAW and regular RAW. If I click the icon, I get the "File format is not supported" message.

If there is anyone out there who uses cRAW, would you mind describing your workflow, and software you use, to get from the images in the camera to a usable image on the computer. I'd like to use the included software initially, then, maybe I'll try some other converters at a later date. I'm sure it's a simple process, but it sure has me baffeled.

GT

Unfortunately it will be a while before I can afford PS, so that's why I'd like to do it with the included IDC software.

I don't use the software and I can't find the Sony disk so I can't help. But if you go here you may get sorted.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2zBGrq...r-raw-tutorial

BTW. You should transfer the files to your hard drive before messing around because of the speed advantage.
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 01-10-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Another thought.

I hopped on my Windows computer to check out the software. First off make sure you have the latest version of the Sony software from the website, the stuff from the CD may not be compatible with the a700's firmware update.

Try opening the files with Sony Image Data Lightbox first. The idea with the Sony workflow is to import files into the Lightbox to review them, rank them, delete bad ones, then use the "Adjust in Image Data Converter" button at the top to get the image into Image Data Converter and mess with crop, white balance, etc.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Ok everyone, I figured it out!

As Peekayoh says, I had to transfer the files onto the hard drive first, then the IDC works. I saw that little diddy in the IDC help file -- should have been in a BIGGER FONT!!

I just used Win Explorer to transfer several mixed JPG, cRAW, and RAW files to a seperate folder, then started IDC and pointed toward that folder, selected a file and Open, and there it was.

laydros, I really appreciate the explanation of the workflow. I'll try doing it your way next time.

Thanks everyone for your help. Forums often beat other forms of "formal" help. Hope I can reciprocate sometime.

GT

Quote Originally Posted by chemtech View Post
    Ok everyone, I figured it out!

As Peekayoh says, I had to transfer the files onto the hard drive first, then the IDC works. I saw that little diddy in the IDC help file -- should have been in a BIGGER FONT!!

I just used Win Explorer to transfer several mixed JPG, cRAW, and RAW files to a seperate folder, then started IDC and pointed toward that folder, selected a file and Open, and there it was.

laydros, I really appreciate the explanation of the workflow. I'll try doing it your way next time.

Thanks everyone for your help. Forums often beat other forms of "formal" help. Hope I can reciprocate sometime.

GT
    I actually don't use the Sony software. I have it on my work laptop when I just want to grab a picture real quick, but I do my primary work in Lightroom on the Mac.

It wouldn't surprise me if LR runs faster on PC though, Adobe has switched their focus from Mac to PC over the past 10 years or so. If you are in school or have family members that are, it's pretty cheap with the educational discount.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr