Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So you guys have me worried..... Am i going to have to upgrade the the 700 i wasnt even thinking it but now im starting to or am i just overreacting...
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    So you guys have me worried..... Am i going to have to upgrade the the 700 i wasnt even thinking it but now im starting to or am i just overreacting...

there will be at least a couple of new model that should be introduced soon. if i were you i would wait it out at least till spring before buying the a700.
    i would like to get the a700 as well but i always have difficulty buying something that was not introduced in the current year i am planning to buy or at least within 12 month period.
    i held the a700 a few times and i really like the feel of it and the size. wish there was a a900 in that Sony Store as well.

there is still hope for the a2/3/350 with firmware updates.
    v4 supposedly did wonders for the a700.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

No Sony Style stores around. Raleigh-Durham is quickly becoming one of the bigger citys, and we have all kinds of stuff (including 2 Apple stores, Philly didn't have any a year ago) but no Sony Style.

I did see an a700 at Wolf, so I may go in and mess with it. I wish one of my locally owned shops carried it, but Sony won't work with them yet, as I mentioned before.

The a300 has been ok, I think the glass I had was a more limiting factor. Now that I have used it for a while I could use the benefits from the a700, but for now I'd rather spend my money on glass.

In fact, at this point, between the 28-85 and the beercan, I cover most of my normal working range with f/4 or faster, good glass. Not Zeiss, but good. That has made things better already.

I think I'll stick with what I have for this generation, and keep hoping that FF works it's way down to the advanced amateur (currently a700) level, instead of the semi-pro level its currently in with the D700 and 5D.

As for live view - I don't use it often, but when I'm shooting from a tripod or over my head it's been really handy. I'd rather have the better viewfinder than the live view. After looking through this MinO 5000 I see what I've been missing with the a300, it kinda makes me want to trade down to an a200, b/c it has a better viewfinder.
    Last edited by laydros; 01-09-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

I can honestly say, upgrading to the A700 would be a better move, all around, over better glass, in this case. Now, going from the A700 to the A900 ... well, that is an argument that really would be hard to justify, once you had an A700. I, like many others, am still really torn over the consideration. Going from the A100 to the A700 ... was just waiting for the A700 to become available. I had it the next day. LOL and am still impressed. I would easily give up a $500 lens to make the jump.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I wish there were more Sony dealers around. From what I've heard, stores just don't like dealing with Sony. They say that they don't know how to deal with their retailers.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

sales people at all the sony stores here are hungry for sales and offer discounts just to get it. The a900 body can be had for under 3k CAD here and I think it's the same stateside.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    sales people at all the sony stores here are hungry for sales and offer discounts just to get it. The a900 body can be had for under 3k CAD here and I think it's the same stateside.
    hmmm not sure how much it was when I was just in Toronto. The sales guy at Eaton's center in Toronto did not take me seriously at all. Was "too busy" to help since it was boxing week (was like 2-3 days after boxing day) and I guess the many other employees just standing around were really busy as well...

he told me he was a "professional photographer," so I asked if he used the A900, and he was like no... I use Nikon..... "So, why do you work at a SonyStyle store selling cameras?"..... Whatever.

They had pretty much EVERY SINGLE LENS . I was like a kid in a candy store and wanted to try em all!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool The real deal ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    hmmm not sure how much it was when I was just in Toronto. The sales guy at Eaton's center in Toronto did not take me seriously at all. Was "too busy" to help since it was boxing week (was like 2-3 days after boxing day) and I guess the many other employees just standing around were really busy as well...

he told me he was a "professional photographer," so I asked if he used the A900, and he was like no... I use Nikon..... "So, why do you work at a SonyStyle store selling cameras?"..... Whatever.

They had pretty much EVERY SINGLE LENS . I was like a kid in a candy store and wanted to try em all!
    Obviously, that Nikon of his isn't keeping him rich enough to avoid having to work for ... the competition (shaking head).

Look, if you are ready to buy the A700, order it online or straight from B&H. You will get it and if it doesn't live up to what I have explained ... send it back. They do take returns. I have little doubt, once you test drive this quality machine ... you will be a lot happier with your work. A decent ISO-1600 image is an excellent reason, all by itself! Heck, just ask Sean!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post

doubt he's a pro. the sony store pays $8.50+ an hour and i have found every sony store employee product dumb. they just keep spewing shit like this is the best and it is better than the competition but they can't explain why or compare other than read out the spec sheet.
    and they think wearing their suits help their case.
    i normally walk in to any electronic store precisely knowing what i want cause i know the likelihood of the sales person knowing anything is minute.
    i remember i walked and asking if they had any other flashes other than the 56 they had on the shelf, and buddy tells me this is the biggest baddest one sony has to offer. i almost wanted to correct him saying that the 58 is the latest one but i felt bad for him and let him off easy.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    doubt he's a pro. the sony store pays $8.50+ an hour and i have found every sony store employee product dumb. they just keep spewing shit like this is the best and it is better than the competition but they can't explain why or compare other than read out the spec sheet.
    and they think wearing their suits help their case.
    i normally walk in to any electronic store precisely knowing what i want cause i know the likelihood of the sales person knowing anything is minute.
    i remember i walked and asking if they had any other flashes other than the 56 they had on the shelf, and buddy tells me this is the biggest baddest one sony has to offer. i almost wanted to correct him saying that the 58 is the latest one but i felt bad for him and let him off easy.
    lawl.

I recall a similar tech incident at Best (Worst) Buy where the sales rep was convincing a customer that an 8600GT with 512MB of RAM was far superior to an 8800GT with only 256MB of RAM solely on the basis of RAM. Anyways for anyone that doesn't know, the 8800GT was like 3x the price of the 8600gt, it's why it's even higher in model number (there's a reason, it's a lot better!) anyways.... yeah... they really know nothing and get paid accordingly.

I remember aksing if the 75-300mm lens was any good (came with my camera) and the guy was like .... yeah I hear their stuff is pretty good. Sony's been working with big names like Zeiss. OK.... but this isn't a Zeiss lens. Got home, did a bit of research, quickly discovered how not so great it was and promptly ebayed it and replaced it with the Tamron.

I would say hold your horses, no need to rush and get an A700 yet. Wait till the new products are announced. I was a bit disappointed to find out PMA this year is in March instead of January, so it will be a few more weeks till we hear anything concrete. But you can bet prices will fall further once new models come out.
    flickr