Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refurbished Products

Has anyone here purchased any Canon factory refurbished products? If so, was your experience good, bad, indifferent? Thanks

I've bought two refurbed Canon L lenses from Adorama. I saved some money, they came with a 90 day warranty, and I'm pleased with both of them. I'm not sure who else sells refurbed gear, but I'd stick with a reputable seller, such as Adorama or B&H.

Adorama Refurbished page

I've purchased a refurb 5D and 30D, one from Adorama and one from an eBay seller. Both have been no trouble at all. The eBay seller was a camera dealer and had great feedback. He also offered an extended 1 year warranty, for me that made it a no brainer.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I haven't bought one before, but I don't see the risk/reward balance in buying used or refurbished expensive lenses.

Looking at one of my wish-list items - the 70-200 f4L IS, its $969 refurbished or $1025 brand new (ignoring the $75 rebate which actually makes it cheaper than the refurbished).

So why would I pay almost $1000 dollars for something used and possibly broken, when I can save 50 more dollars (not that much! 5 percent!) and get it brand new from the factory with all the associated warranties intact.

Maybe if the savings of buying used were more in the 15 or 20% range, then it would be worth the risk. But for the current differences, I don't see it.

I go out to dinner a few times less than I normally would, and there's my brand new, guaranteed correct lens instead of a used one.

Someone care to explain the used lens phenomenon??

(Used camera bodies - makes a bit more sense to me, but I won't be buying a new body until I have better lenses. )
    Canon 400D
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6
    Canon EF 28-135 f3.5-5.6
    http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwstratton
    http://flickr.com/photos/21657613@N03/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Yes. Used has always puzzled me. The prices for used are so ludicrously high that there's virtually no advantage in buying used.

I bought a refurb 10-22 and it is razor sharp and bang on in focus, no complaints here
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Yes. Used has always puzzled me. The prices for used are so ludicrously high that there's virtually no advantage in buying used.
    Used is hardly the same as refurbished. A factory refurbished item is returned to factory specs. and tested as such. I look at it as the factory has looked at that item twice, once new and once when checking it over for refurbishment. How many lenses/bodies have we heard of sent back for a focus problem, or other problem? When I bought my refurbs, I saved nearly 50% on the price of a new item. That's significant savings with a warranty.

I have also purchased almost all of my lenses used, my 80-200 f/2.8L was quite old when I purchased it, it was less than half the price of a 70-200 f/2.8L when I purchased it. It's still probably the sharpest lens in my bag. I covet a 28-70 f/2.8L, also not available new, everything I have read on this lens places it a step above the new 24-70 f/2.8L, and I can also buy it for 2/3 the price of a 24-70. I buy used from KEH and I have 14 days to examine and try my purchase, no questions asked. It's an economical way to purchase high end glass on a budget.

I believe the vast majority of refurbs are either open box items, or returns for things like mis focus, didn't like, ect. Even if the refurbished item had a gross problem, it will have been rectified and checked like new. I have no problem with that.
    Last edited by TenD; 01-08-2009 at 08:06 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I've bought a few refurbs from Adorama. I've saved about $1k all up, although I did have a bit of trouble with one item - a 400/2.8 IS: the USM module expired.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

I bought my 30D as factory refurb from roberts photo and it was like new. Was told from roberts they are often demo models.

I'd still look on PoTN or fredmiranda buy/sell before buying refurb unless it's a good deal.

Tim

There's a slight chance buying a lens brand new, that it may incur problems such as front or back focusing or other types of failures. Inevitably it gets sent in for repair. When the lens gets returned to you, it essentially is a refurbed lens that you've paid full price for plus possibly shipping cost to send it in for repair and aggravation for the whole process. Similarly if a lens is returned to a vendor citing problems, hopefully a reputable vendor will send it to Canon for repair (Adorama claims "Refurbished by Canon"). This becomes a slightly used lens, but refurbed. Either way it likely will have a warranty of sorts. Hopefully a refurb might be more closely looked at than a product that came off of production line testing.
    Have to consider rebates on new as well. If the price is close enough during a rebate, the brand new rebated product may be a better choice.