Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    My friend ... you can do all you want ... put a PRIME on your camera ... and anti-handshake is all up to you. Better SOME than NONE!

Enjoy the day, the night ... and whatever else waltzes your way.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I shouldn't admit this, you guys may shun me forever but...

To be really honest, he makes a good point... sorry, but I'd take 2 stops better in ISO over 2 stops in IS anyday, it means instead of IS to steady my own personal shake, I have a faster shutter speed to freeze both my shake and any movement in my subjects.

We've said it before, Sony needs to fix the noise. If we could get the high ISO performance they see with the high end Nikons combined with in-body IS, then we would really have something to brag about.

Sony's hardware isn't inferior, but neither is Nikon or Canon or the 4/3 stuff, they all have some benefits.
    Last edited by laydros; 01-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

I vote for better high ISO performance as well. IS is nice and all but I would like some clean images at ISO 1600 in low light situations and confidence in ISO 3200 shots.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Red face Slowing things down a bit ...

Well ... I vote for the "STOP TIME" function ... where you press the button and everything freezes ... you take your shot (at any ISO, Aperture, or Shutter-speed you would like ... get superior saturation) and then ... time resumes.

Name:  A900_stop-time-function.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  220.2 KB

But, then again ... I was hoping for a price reduction of the α900, too. Like that's ever going to happen!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-08-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well ... I vote for the "STOP TIME" function ... where you press the button and everything freezes ... you take your shot and ... time resumes.

Name:  A900_stop-time-function.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  220.2 KB

But, then again ... I was hoping for a price reduction of the α900, too. Like that's ever going to happen!
    Well, with current exchange rates, people have been getting it in the low $2k mark. of course, you forgo some warranty. (or you'll just have to ship it very far).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Talking Stop Time Feature! LOL!

Don, if someone can come close to perfecting that, I think it will market quite well, and solve a lot more problems than just those us photographers are facing!

We can always hope.

Thumbs up Take your time to get a GOOD shot

Yeah, imagine ... your flying along at 600 mph, over the countryside ... you see a hellacious shot coming up, but the darn plane window is all scratched up ...

Name:  window-shot.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  330.0 KB

so, you unbuckle your seat belt, take your camera up to the airplane front door ... press the "STOP TIME" button on your camera ... open the door, step out ... position, meter and snap your image (all at your leisure ... because time's not a wastin', as it were) ... then climb back in the airplane, secure the door ... hit the button, again, and resume your flight. I tell ya ... it has all kinds of possibilities, especially if you are photographing the lil' "Munchkins!"

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Speaking of old Minolta, I retain and store everything, but thats another story. Back in 1998 I bought a set of Minolta binoculars 12X50's best set I have ever used or had, still use them to this day. anyway rummaged through my files and pulled the 'club minolta card out along with my Minolta warranty, good for 25 years on the binoculars. Wonder if it's still valid, but any way the optics were and are outstanding, I can remember thinking man this is why there lenses must be so good! anyway a little trip down memory lane
    My Missus uses a pair of Minolta 60x20 which fit easily into her handbag. They are brilliant.

Just read thro' the rest of this post and you know what; the argument is pointless.
    The fact is that no "System" is perfect and, even with unlimited budget, the choices are always going to be a compromise.
    Having purchased my first DSLR in November and seeing as I only ever shot at max ISO400 with film, I'm very happy with my choice and don't yet miss the superior high ISO performance of the Canon. If I'd had a Canon film camera rather than Minolta I would surely now have a Canon and be equally happy.
    The fact is that either camera produces superb results and we should simply get on with using them.

We also expect and deserve a better high ISO performance from Sony and I presume they are working on a solution as we "talk". Maybe every Sony user should e-mail them with their point of view. Can this be done from a web page?

Mind you, that means an upgrade, yet again.

I'm pretty sure they can address some of it via a fw upgrade like v4 for the a700.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR