Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunZ View Post
    Nah I haven't read that one, but I'll have a look this weekend. Cheers dr4gon
    I gotthose two at the library and they are by far my favorites. Read each in a day because they were so entertaining and easy to read (did skim a bit about the advanced portrait section regarding multiple studio lighting setups and stuff like that).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    My motivations to go with SONY came from, I guess three different aspects ...
    [*] I already had several relatively nice lenses from my "Minolta" days
    Which you have declared junk several times on this forum. When people say they are going to buy the decent 35-70 you tell them to go out an buy a Tamron...
    [*] Canon not putting stability in the camera body. I wrote to them and asked them to do so, but they chose to ignore my advice. Hey, I'm a paying customer ... and it's my money ... adios!
    Good for you, keep your 1.5 stop improvement. Me, I'll strap on a lens with over 2x the stabilization ability, or if my subject is moving, I just up my ISO and still get the shot with half the noise if you tried the same...
    [*] Buying Canon lenses with IS in them is unbelievably expensive, for something I get "for free" in my camera body! Any lens I "strap on" ... shake shake shake ... gone!
    Sony top quality glass without IS costs more than the equivalent Canon glass with IS...
    Last edited by TenD; 01-08-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Okay ... since you started ... let's go with one basic lens. The 50mm f/1.4

Place your little jewel on the EOS 50D ... and follow me. I will put my α700 to the test. We'll walk and talk for a while. Then, we shall come upon a really shady area ... and set for 1/15 sec. ISO 1600. DR+ adv. Set for f/1.4 and take an image of bloom (dist 18 inches), back up two-feet and do it again.

If you can hold your camera as steady as the α700 presentation, I will concede you are correct. Unfortunately, you won't be. You will need a SONY Alpha camera (or Pentax, or Olympus) to do this with a PRIME lens. "Handheld" has its limitations ... and you are a human, Ernest. The "walk", alone, will do you in.

Anyway ... it seems a little pointless debating the advantages of IS ... since a lot of people spent a lot of money to put it in lenses and bodies. The only problem is Canon hasn't gotten around to ALL their lenses, yet. Don't feel bad, Nikon hasn't either. SONY doesn't have to. That's my point. Enjoy!

BTW: Until they do get those lenses ready for you, don't get too "shook up" ... a new α700 is waiting for you at the local SONY Style store.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-08-2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

This argument has little relevence for me as I plumped for Minolta a long time ago and have moved on to Sony as a natural progression.

If you look here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ne-month.shtml this previous Canon Guy (I think) is pretty taken with the A900. He likes the anti shake and thinks the noise performance of the A900 is better than the Canon 5D MKII up to ISO 800. That's good news for me as I never shoot that high anyway.

yes, and to each their own, let's stop arguing about this already, no one's changing their system here.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Talking Trust your feelings ...

Oh c'mon ... I almost have Ernest coming over to the "Dark Side." He needs only to release his fears ...

"Join me, 'TenD'. It is the only way."

Name:  vader-offers-EF-S.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  116.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-08-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I doubt that, Don. Ten'D (anyone) would need a much better reason to change Systems.

Okay, you're right, Peek ... I'll throw in the "kit lens", too.

flickr & Sdi

Speaking of old Minolta, I retain and store everything, but thats another story. Back in 1998 I bought a set of Minolta binoculars 12X50's best set I have ever used or had, still use them to this day. anyway rummaged through my files and pulled the 'club minolta card out along with my Minolta warranty, good for 25 years on the binoculars. Wonder if it's still valid, but any way the optics were and are outstanding, I can remember thinking man this is why there lenses must be so good! anyway a little trip down memory lane
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Oh c'mon ... I almost have Ernest coming over to the "Dark Side." He needs only to release his fears ...
    Ernest would be pretty hard to woo to the Dark side, since he's an author who wrote "Fate is the Hunter" where the quote is taken from, and he's been dead for several years. Speaking of dark side, so you admit Sony is the Dark Side? I'll keep my IS in my lens where it benefits me about 3-4 stops according to tests. You can have your in body IS(which I admit is a good idea)which isn't nearly as effective as in lens IS.

I will set my camera to ISO expansion 3200 upping my SS to 1/30 which I am comfortable handholding in most situations. My ISO 3200 will still have less noise than your A700 at ISO 1600. You can't place arbitrary stipulations on taking the photo, you are using all of the capability of your camera, I should have the same privilege.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.