Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    O.K. Don, so we forget the production and marketing of custom made edged weapons with hand mixed and forged metals. Instead new project! a set of CD tutorials for the new DSLR owner, CD one functions and use of the DSLR what the buttons and settings mine and do, CD 2 all about lenses use and limitations, CD 3 why does this picture look like this, how to fix, or be able to do it again, use photos with shallow DOF, high ISO noise, etc.
    And what about this on the camera like you said INFO button make it a setting so that the camera would pick up incompatiable settings, explain why, and what effects could be caused, make suggestions to change settings and what it would do. wouldn't have to be in great detail.
    My own story, before I bought I researched and read online for 3 to 4 months, narrowed my brand and model down and did detailed research, went to a few camera shops, got little to no help, or out right WRONG info. My favorites one place a small electronics store that had Nikon and Canon DSLR's and other brand P&S cameras asked me if I was sure Sony made a DSLR !! another place I explained my interest in Sony, and that I was debating between the 300 or the 700, I went over my interests and desires, what I planned on shooting, what kinds of things I wanted to be able to do etc. With out batting a eye the owner moved down the counter pulled out a Nikon D80 and said this is really the camera you want, and THE ONLY ONE that can do what you want!!! I left.
    Then I came here and read and read and started asking questions, all before I bought my camera or lenses. The only lens I wish I hadn't of bought is the well used Minolta 70-210 3.5, the only lens I didn't ask about on here before buying LOL!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Sean, you could always pass it along to one of the less-blessed members, who are still deciding ... and just get it out of your bag. I thought about giving my "kit lens" away, then thought better of it as I decided not to impose its inherently lousy IQ on another human being. I am nothing if not merciful.

BTW: Got a lens case for the AT-X 840. They did not have a LowePro LC3 in stock, so it wound up being a size "L" lens case from Calumet. The lens fits in it with about two inches to spare, at the top (not enough room for a PRIME), but it is designed very much like the LowePro, at about half the price. So, the last lens, she is bagged. LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

the xsi is not an easy camera to work with and is pretty small compared to the alphas. My pinky had absolutely no place to go.
    Anyway long story short, my cousin wanted to get a dslr for xmas and asked me my opinion. I pimped the alpha for it's IS and told him the pros and cons of each brand. So while I was away on vacation, he buys the a300 and barely used it. He scoured the forums and was told that canikon had a bigger following and Sony was nowhere on par with performance. So he returned it without giving it a fair chance.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Elisha, I suggest you shoot his socks off and make him rethink his choice.

Everytime I demonstrate what I can do with a SONY ... a 50mm f/1.4 prime ... SSS ... and at 1/15 second ... versus the same prime lens on a Nikon or Canon ... it makes for a very short argument. No matter how steady a person thinks they are ... 1/15 of a second usually brings out the worst in them. The resulting images are almost always an eye-opener.

If there is any question, even if you only have your SONY Alpha with you:
    1. Put your 50mm on the camera
    2. Set the aperture to its widest setting
    3. Turn off the "SSS"
    4. Hand it to the non-believer and have them take their "steadiest" shot, handheld.
    5. Turn "SSS" back to the "on" position.
    6. Hand it to the non-believer, tell them to "just relax" and have them take the same shot, handheld.
    7. With the shot magnifier button, examine both shots on the camera's LCD, flipping back and forth.

The proof should be there. That "SSS" shot should look quite sharp and clear. Now, do the same thing with a PRIME on a Nikon or Canon. Oh yeah ... no "SSS" ... sorry.

Just throwing up the camera and doing just that ... (100% crop)

SSS off (1/15 sec)
    Name:  SSS-off.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  327.4 KB

SSS on (1/15 sec)
    Name:  SSS-on.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  375.9 KB

Image shake tends to look like bad focus, but it is not, because everything is blurry, unlike bad focus, where there is some point in the image that usually is in focus, just not your "desired subject."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-07-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So Don does the AT-X 840 in the L case ride on the outside of the velocity bag or does it fit inside? I am still pondering the velocity 9x or maybe even the new 10x and lowepro cases mounted on the outside for the big guns.
    The Minolta 70-210 3.5 works fine, nothing amazing in the colors not the legendary (?) performance of the beercan. It is the lens creep I swear at 70mm I can blow hard while holding the camera and extend it to 200mm LOL I may willing to sell it at a VERY reasonable price, maybe I will try and shoot some shots this week with it and post them.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

It does BOTH! (in or out)

flickr & Sdi

I don't think there is anything _wrong_ with using a Canon or Nikon system. I think I could just as easily be on one of those systems.

It did make me a little smug to pick up a Beercan for $100 though. The Canon 70-200 f/4 with IS runs north of $900 (although that is new). And yes, I know that the beercan isn't Canon L quality, and probably doesn't focus as quickly, but for an amateur on a budget, its feasible, where the Canon will not be.
    Last edited by laydros; 01-07-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

There's nothing wrong with your economics, Jason.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    the xsi is not an easy camera to work with and is pretty small compared to the alphas. My pinky had absolutely no place to go.
    Anyway long story short, my cousin wanted to get a dslr for xmas and asked me my opinion. I pimped the alpha for it's IS and told him the pros and cons of each brand. So while I was away on vacation, he buys the a300 and barely used it. He scoured the forums and was told that canikon had a bigger following and Sony was nowhere on par with performance. So he returned it without giving it a fair chance.
    When I was going over pros and cons of the D60/D80, XS/XSi and the a200/a300 one major benefit of the Sony system to me was the size of the grip. The Sony felt much better in my larger than average hands.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

@Don, he's already having issues when taking indoor shots.
    he bought the budget F1.8 50mm prime and can't take sharp images with it indoors.
    i was already showing him what my prime can do at 1/15th and so on but it is hard to convince someone who has been told Canikon is better for image quality.

but IS aside, the XSi is a puny camera and feels like it is made out of cheap plastic and the controls are not as easily accessible.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR