Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some opinions on a tripod head

Hey guys I got the Manfrotto 190XPROB a few weeks ago and didn't realize when I was ordering it that it didn't come with a head

Anyway I could really use your guys' opinions.

I currently have two in mind:
    Ball: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

3-way: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html.

Could you please give me your opinions on these heads and suggest other heads in this price range that you feel are better.

Tripod Head

I guess I am from the old school, but the second of your selections would be my choice. You will much more easily be able to quickly make small adjustments.

Sarah Joyce

What are you going to be doing with the tripod? What gear are you mounting on it? I prefer ball heads. I don't know much about 3 way heads. It's likely that the Manfrotto 486RC2 would be enough. I'm not sure what the practical difference is between the RC2 and RC4 plates, but the RC2 works fine for me. I have the Manfrotto 322RC2 which I like. It works well for a light camera set up.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I'm also a ballhead user. On a limited budget, a ballhead transfers best to a monopod, if there is one of those in your future.
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

I'll second the 322RC2. This is a fantastic head which is super easy to adjust.

Ray.

My experience has shown that if you are playing with the heavier glass ... 70-200, 70-400, 50-500 or the 200-500, you can really pinch the heck out of your hands with a ball head. The tilt-head is a lot safer for both your hands and your equipment.

If you do not use heavier gear, the ball head is light and fits (mounted on the tripod) real nicely inside a tripod bag. The tilt-head usually requires you unscrew the adjustment handles, before stowage. Having both, for me, has been a great way with dealing with the variety.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry I didn't mention in the original post what gear I would be using and what for. I currently have a d80 with stock 18-55 lens. I do plan on upgrading to a larger lens in the future, but I really don't know if any higher than 200.

I'm a car enthusiasts and mostly use the camera for meets and photoshoots of my car I do plan on eventually taking track shots and broadening my horizon to macro, landscape, etc.

Right now I think the pistol grip that you guys suggested is at the top of the list.

Cool Go ahead ... make my day!

With that pistol grip, you can really get "the drop" on 'em!

Name:  Don-takes-a-shot.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  161.5 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yepp, another ball head user here. i hate those other styles now. big, bulky and slow. i have a 322RC2 and a 488RC2. bioth are excellent. the 322 is lighting fast for adjustments but not as sturdy, (some slippage), as the 488.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Still debating between the pistol grip and 488RC4....

I notice the RC4 has a much larger plate surface. Should I be looking at something with a large plate surface like that?