Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face 6000+ postings ... I talk too much

Anyway ... my A700 has to go back to repair as a "redo". They did not properly attend to the rear thumbwheel problem, as I originally asked them to.

Don't get me wrong, they did a great job on everything else ... but the problem.

So, off she goes again, to Precision Camera, in Connecticut. I really would like to see the statistics that place produces.

Now, it's winter and I am on the "sidelines", with my trusty A100 and all the glass. Thank God I don't have to go back to film ... yet.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I'm new here and even I agree.

-Matt

Cool Fine!

Quote Originally Posted by GotToyota? View Post
    I'm new here and even I agree.

-Matt
    Gosh, Matt ... I'll shut up and let you drive. Have fun ... it's all downhill, on a 7% grade!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks.

I'll start posting more once I actually get familiar with my camera and mess around with shooting pictures.
    Nikon D40x
    - Nikkor ED 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Give me feedback on Flickr

Don lets see what you can do with that A100. It will give me some goals I can achieve. Be fair and use cheap glass.LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Technically speaking Don, you're writing not talking.
    Now my Missus, she talks too much; don't get me wrong, I love her dearly but....
    And get a bunch of women together and whewwww it's Incessant!! and what's more they all talk at the same time. Multitasking? WALOOR.

Upshot? If you've got something worth posting. Post it.

Oh! and you don't have much luck with your equipment, do you?

It is his big hands. LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Sorry to hear that it's acting up again.

Here is a widely accepted solution

and more about it:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...0542316&page=2

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum//forum_p...=298366#298366
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Unfortunately, that solution is absolute nonsense. There is a mechanical short in the switch, which, when placed in the "WRONG" place, it triggers an uncontrollable manipulation of the control line, sending the camera into a high speed playback of the LCD or the aperture completely out of control.

If I only use the vertical grip control ... the camera works just fine. Anyway ... if I can get it to repeat, those guys at Precision Camera should be able to. I left the camera's thumbwheel set right in the position, that it all occurs at. Should be a "no-brainer." Just SWITCH the switch out.

Admittedly, you do need a card with some images on it and perhaps a lens, to see the control failure. The camera has to be ready to work.

Anyway ... if they have an issue finding this issue, they need to give me a call ... not throw it in a bag, ship it back and stamped, "PROBLEM NOT FOUND!" That's just poor repair procedure and expected more for my "paid for" warranty.

flickr & Sdi

Don, is Precision Camera the Sony recommended repair site, based on your location?

When I had to send my A200 in, Sony had me send it to:

Sony Electronics
    10227 Crossroads Loop
    Suite C
    Laredo, TX 78045

Other than sending back a different cap (an ugly white one), they did a good job, not only replacing the hotshoe, and doing a full cleaning job, and also some tuneup as well. Startup and autofocus is quicker and quieter. It works better than when new. I had to pay shipping one way, and insurance (I wasn't going to risk not having insurance on something like this!), but was worth it.

So at least the tech that worked on my camera in Texas knew what he was doing, and did it acceptably quickly.