Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So how is the 9000 working out

Anyone have one yet?

sory a900
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-03-2009 at 05:21 PM.

you mean the a900 ? edawg has one.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

My 9000 got "nicked".

Cool Quick hands-on review of the α900

Well, I assuming we discussing the α900 ... and I went over to the local SONY Style store, today, to get my hands on this $3000 "upgrade."

The best part was having the camera guy absolutely amazed as I went through the α700 iterations (yes, I mean α700, as the two cameras are almost identical in operation) ... testing the shooting firepower of the camera. I mounted an SONY AF 100mm f/2.8 MACRO lens (which was the best lens they had on hand, in the store) and took several shots. He reminded me of the "preview" function of the α900, which I then put to the test.

When you press what would be the α700's DOF/aperture preview button, under the lens mounting ring, upon its release, the now "Intelligent Preview" of the α900 takes an "unrecorded image" of what the camera lens "sees" and then allows you to manipulate settings of the presented shot and reposition the four-color Histogram by correcting for underexposure, overexposure ... whatever. The only thing is, you have to do this with only the lens aperture setting, camera shutter speed setting, exposure compensation (+/-) setting, White Balance setting or camera DRO setting. ISO is locked out and cannot be changed with this function. Also, if you try to change camera Mode (M, A, S, P, AUTO) ... the preview is lost with a reset. I mean, I can see its value ... but, it still seems a bit limited. I feel that being able to change the ISO, also, would be real handy.

It looks like this ...
    Name:  Intell-Preview.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  33.6 KB

I also tried "rapid fire" response and found myself a little bit disappointed. My α700 actually fires faster, by comparison. I got about five shots off ... then it started stalling a bit. It could have been the memory card I was using (store provided), it was nearly full and probably not the fastest write speed in town. It's a test I will have to try again, with my own stuff. The camera guy stated that it had run much faster a few days earlier. I'll buy into that, based on testimony by other reviewers. I know it's fast.

All in all ... this is really going to be hard to justify, at this point. I feel compelled to get one of these full frame cameras, yet ... the α700 has almost all the bases covered. The differences just seem ... minuscule. For the extra $2000 ... I think I am just going to wait for a price drop.

What's a guy to do?

Yeah ... don't worry, be happy! I mean, to be honest, the hands-on was very reassuring ... in that way. To each their own.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-02-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Like you Don, I'll wait for a price drop; a big one.
    If I had $2000 to spare right now, I'd spend it on a good lens.

Don, any word on a less supped up full frame coming down the line.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

You know, SONY is keeping things even more quiet, than ever before. It does leave one to wonder ...
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

There's a photo show coming up in January (PMA). That was when earlier last year they announced the 70-300mm G SSM and the 24-70mm CZ SSM a long with the A200, A300, and A350.

You can bet there will be a few new lenses and a couple of new camera bodies!

Last Year's Camera announcement and Lens announcement

Don, I think it was the memory card. I tried the continuous burst mode on my Extreme III 16GB and it was delightfully fast.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

you know the minute i buy one they will come up with one better..lol

Question Expansion? But, why?

@Dr4gon, the α700 can shoot just as fast (5 fps) ... so that's a wash.

Look ... as much as I want to say this is a great move ... it seems more like a yawner. If I was moving up from the A100 or the others, I''d probably be wild about the idea ... but from the α700

I guess I'll just concentrate on the lenses for now. I really need some of those ... Cream in my coffee, I guess. LOL

flickr & Sdi