Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sharpening gripe...and question

My biggest gripe about sharpening is that it is global - even sharpening your out of focus areas and increasing noise in what used to be a fairly smooth background. Unless you do it selectively.

However, that is a pain in the ass when you are working with hundreds of images. When you go from pushing images through a batch process, to start sharpening selectively one at a time, you get really frustrated.

So what I'd like to do is incorporate, if possible, a selective sharpen into my batch process. Is it possible to do the following:

After the action starts and resizes my image to my preset size:

1. Have Photoshop prompt me to paint over the area that I'd like to sharpen? Or is my only option to paint over the area that I do not want sharpened (via a mask)?

2. Then have it continue the process of saving to my specified folder in the batch?

I basically want it to load the image, resize, prompt me to paint over my subject so I can leave the bokeh alone, then have it continue saving to the folder that was specified before I started. I have seen prompts similar to this in some of Ken Kubota's actions but I'm not sure how they work. They were used to paint back over an area to restore certain aspects that you didn't want changed by the filter. The action actually stopped, popped up a message giving you instructions, and handed you the brush tool.

Thanks for any solutions to this dilemna...
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

The only thing I can think of is create your own Action and youll have to run it on each photo seperatly in order to "paint" the areas you want sharpened.

I do this with an "airbrush" Action.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    My biggest gripe about sharpening is that it is global - even sharpening your out of focus areas and increasing noise in what used to be a fairly smooth background. Unless you do it selectively.

However, that is a pain in the ass when you are working with hundreds of images. When you go from pushing images through a batch process, to start sharpening selectively one at a time, you get really frustrated.

So what I'd like to do is incorporate, if possible, a selective sharpen into my batch process. Is it possible to do the following:

After the action starts and resizes my image to my preset size:

1. Have Photoshop prompt me to paint over the area that I'd like to sharpen? Or is my only option to paint over the area that I do not want sharpened (via a mask)?

2. Then have it continue the process of saving to my specified folder in the batch?

I basically want it to load the image, resize, prompt me to paint over my subject so I can leave the bokeh alone, then have it continue saving to the folder that was specified before I started. I have seen prompts similar to this in some of Ken Kubota's actions but I'm not sure how they work. They were used to paint back over an area to restore certain aspects that you didn't want changed by the filter. The action actually stopped, popped up a message giving you instructions, and handed you the brush tool.

Thanks for any solutions to this dilemna...
    Yes it's possible... now how to do it is a completely different story. I'll look into it but my plate will be full for the next couple of days. Putting a comment in will stop an action from running at a given point but there's a little more to it. I was playing with this a little while ago but I was having issues and was too lazy at the time to figure it out.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 12-31-2008 at 12:51 AM.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

You can't get away with just using a sharpening threshold can you. I think the Bokeh would be excluded by a threshold value.

I'm keen to hear your answer from the more educated people though as I can't work out how to clone without stopping the action!
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

There is no Threshold with Smart Sharpening, but interesting idea.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod