Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cool It's not having gear that counts ...

It's what you wind up doing with it that really matters.

Just remember, this camera stuff can sit on a shelf ... and have some residual value ... but, when you get behind the "controls" and start pumping out some work with it ... you become a creator! That's a pretty impressive step forward ... when you can let the light do the talkin'!

All I ask from it is ... that I enjoy it!

All the best in the coming year.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-30-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well said Don!
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

Don got this dead right and it may be very relevent in the coming year.
    Any one of the Alpha cameras' is a very competent beast and there are cheap Minolta lenses out there to be had.
    Sometimes having a less than ideal combo can teach it's own lessons, increase our understanding and ultimately make us better Photographers.

Thumbs up I totally agree

I have to agree, Peek ...

Without having all those darn Carl Zeiss beauties on my camera ... I am rapidly becoming a hell of a shot with what I have got! LOL

Don't get me wrong ... I say improve your equipment when you can. Take immediate notice of what has improved with each piece and test it in concert with your other gear.

I think everyone will agree that GLASS will more often than not be the real source of a "quality shot." The camera, itself, these days, only has a limited response. Of course it is your FILM for the shot, but you will immediately notice sharper shots when the glass is improved. Once you have that base covered ... it's new camera time!

Can you become a helluva photographer starting off with the best equipment? Well, it couldn't hurt. Rarely do people make that kind of leap into a hobby, though. Most DSLR decisions are with a intro-DSLR purchase ... mainly because people do not understand the true power of mid-level cameras, which are only a few hundred more..
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-03-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi