Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No ... I am referring to the different grade zooms of the same focal length that are out there. You buy a SONY 75-300mm for $150 ... and then a TAMRON 70-300mm for same amount and then one more (G SSM) for $700. There is no explanation for the price shift and, of course, with one of them you wind up with questionable glass and having to determine why.

With the 50mm f/.7 ... there is a matching 50mm f/1.4. Are they all that different? Why did SONY stop producing the most popular lens ever made for Minolta? They only make the 50mm f/1.4 ... and priced a little high.

Why did they stop making the 35mm f/2? An affordable and more usable NORMAL lens for the APS-C camera. They only make the 35mm f/1.4 G ... serious money.

The problem is most people will buy the cheaper lens, thinking they can get by ... and then complain with the results. Other glass ... was good and you cannot get it any more. So ... that's kind of frustrating to explain to most people who have never had the experience.

Some decisions have been made at the corporate level that really do not support the introductory level cameras. I find it very confusing. Where does that leave the newbies?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    No ... I am referring to the different grade zooms of the same focal length that are out there. You buy a SONY 75-300mm for $150 ... and then a TAMRON 70-300mm for same amount and then one more (G SSM) for $700. There is no explanation for the price shift and, of course, with one of them you wind up with questionable glass and having to determine why.

With the 50mm f/.7 ... there is a matching 50mm f/1.4. Are they all that different? Why did SONY stop producing the most popular lens ever made for Minolta? They only make the 50mm f/1.4 ... and priced a little high.

Why did they stop making the 35mm f/2? An affordable and more usable NORMAL lens for the APS-C camera. They only make the 35mm f/1.4 G ... serious money.

The problem is most people will buy the cheaper lens, thinking they can get by ... and then complain with the results. Other glass ... was good and you cannot get it any more. So ... that's kind of frustrating to explain to most people who have never had the experience.

Some decisions have been made at the corporate level that really do not support the introductory level cameras. I find it very confusing. Where does that leave the newbies?
    Yeah, thats frustrating to me. CaNikon has a "thrifty fifty" for less money new than I can get used. Not to mention how there should be a cheap 35mm to do the same thing on APS that the 50mm was for FF.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

i agree this kind of logic is so bloody stupid. canon have this right, no one else does though.
    OP: i'm surprised you bought an a100. i think an a200 would have been a much better choice if you wanted a sony.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Personally I went with the A100 because for the price, it couldn't be beat. And after looking at numerous reviews, there wasn't enough difference to dictate the $100 difference between the two.

The A100 is a good DSLR. It offers most, if not all the basic features of the others and if you can get a decent price on it ... well, you spend less money. Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-29-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I am happy with mine. The only thing is you always want to step up. I am thinking about getting the A700 but want to wait till I see what new cameras they are going to release next year.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter