Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "SO" what

Question "SO" what

Arguably, the one challenging aspect of any pursuit of a good hobby is the “significant other” (SO). Often the source of an “obstructionist attitude”, many have recounted tales of clever methods they have employed to “enlist” the support of the SO buy demonstrating some unusual or endearing quality of the hobby.

Okay … now, we all know 90-95% of SOs have, what I like to term, a “tolerance” for allowing a hobby to control time and money. Like anything, most significant hobbies are pricey … and can have no top stop. While photography use to suffer significantly that quality, it has been reduced quite a bit by the entry of digital and being able to see the results of your efforts immediately through LCD or computer. You can choose to “print” IF you want to, now, instead of having a bank full of negatives or expensive slides. That’s your consumer cost, but with the advent of digital frames … that is reduced to a small memory device.

So, in summation … you no longer have the associated film costs; chemical costs (and smells); development costs; or darkroom time. That’s serious money. You can use that money to go straight to better equipment to improve your hobby. The so-called top stop is effectively finite, for the most part. After the best lenses and your Full Frame body … you are shooting almost for FREE.

Uh, how cool is that? What will the SO say? Will you get the say so?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-26-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

That'd be met with just as cold a reception as mentioning you really like your SO's best friend.

Photograph your SO's kids if you want maximum wallet tolerance.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Hummm, the tolerance is calculated easily:
    Tolerance Value=((Age of last fur coat^ct of engagement ring)/months since marriage)*Photoshop skill

I was sort of lucky, my GF prodded me for months to get a decent camera instead of our little P&S. I got a D90 with 18-105VR kit, and added some lenses (50mm f/1.8 and 70-200VR f/2.8) then built some high power strobes and she built softboxes, gobos etc.and gets all excited about getting more hardware if it improves the photos of her and her fashion designs. We were shopping for a toaster oven than other day and she hauled me over to the camera section suggesting i might need some little accessory.

All this excess tolerance is bound to be due to not being married....yet. Her GFs and all the girls I know at the clubs call for appointments for taking photos in our new home- totally-amateur studio. I guess it all works, they sure like the results. When the results impress less as they get used to them, the tolerance might go from the highly positive number of a negative value. Marina has them model her clothes and plays director, and i get to shoot pretty girls...what could be better?
    It is fun with decent lighting, makes a big difference in the tolerance quotient.

If the SO, if the main photo subject, is pleased, you had better get all you need while the T.V. (Tolerance Value) is positive. Photos of your SO's dog counts just as much.

Learning Photoshop figures into the mix. SO's gf is a lovely girl who has a great figure, beautiful long hair and good bone structure. All perfect except rather unfortunate skin. I took some very good shots that emphasised her slim figure and high cheekbones then applied Photoshop and made her a new skin tone and smoothness. They were both so excited they took me out to dinner in one of the nicer restaurants. She submitted the photos to a dating web site and got immediate responses.

For New Years(the main holiday here...Christmas is purely a religious event with no celebration) is when gifts are exchanges, under a New Years tree. My GF gave me my main present last night, a SB900!! Completely unexpected. I can't ruin this perfectly tolerant relationship by getting married!

Quote Originally Posted by stanj View Post
    Learning Photoshop figures into the mix. SO's gf is a lovely girl who has a great figure, beautiful long hair and good bone structure. All perfect except rather unfortunate skin. I took some very good shots that emphasised her slim figure and high cheekbones then applied Photoshop and made her a new skin tone and smoothness. They were both so excited they took me out to dinner in one of the nicer restaurants. She submitted the photos to a dating web site and got immediate responses.
    This here would be filed under deceptive practice. What might the guy think when they meet in person? False advertisement?

Otherwise sounds like you have a nice gig...my SO is enthusiastic about my photog endeavors as well. Just get the majority of your gear before your finances are married together.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

[QUOTE=Visual Reality;348728]This here would be filed under deceptive practice. What might the guy think when they meet in person? False advertisement?

QUOTE]

Absolutely! She is a woman, they are masters of it, and we love'm for it:

lipstick, foundation, mascara, eyeliner, fake hair color, fake eyelashes, fake fingernails, enhancing undergarments, cosmetic procedures,...it is their way to our fantasies.

This girl is sweet, smart and sexy and very funny yet most guys don't spend the time to get to know her. She just needed a little help getting noticed long enough for some lucky guy to get to know her. This is a different sort of place, the average girl is slim, toned, very feminine and stylish, if she was in the US, she would be the most popular girl in the area. By no means was she unattractive but she is in a tough competitive league.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Arguably, the one challenging aspect of any pursuit of a good hobby is the “significant other” (SO). Often the source of an “obstructionist attitude”, many have recounted tales of clever methods they have employed to “enlist” the support of the SO buy demonstrating some unusual or endearing quality of the hobby.

Okay … now, we all know 90-95% of SOs have, what I like to term, a “tolerance” for allowing a hobby to control time and money. Like anything, most significant hobbies are pricey … and can have no top stop. While photography use to suffer significantly that quality, it has been reduced quite a bit by the entry of digital and being able to see the results of your efforts immediately through LCD or computer. You can choose to “print” IF you want to, now, instead of having a bank full of negatives or expensive slides. That’s your consumer cost, but with the advent of digital frames … that is reduced to a small memory device.

So, in summation … you no longer have the associated film costs; chemical costs (and smells); development costs; or darkroom time. That’s serious money. You can use that money to go straight to better equipment to improve your hobby. The so-called top stop is effectively finite, for the most part. After the best lenses and your Full Frame body … you are shooting almost for FREE.

Uh, how cool is that? What will the SO say? Will you get the say so?
    All I had to do to get my way about phtography was to remind the SO she spent more every year on her nails, hair and pantyhose than I do and did on my "hobby".

Hell, she once spent $499 on pair of shoes she wore maybe twice-if that.
    "At least" I said to her, "...my camera gear is still useful".

Besides, and unlike her hair, my gear pays for itself in six to eight months.
    Her hair? Never made a dime.
    EOS 1-D, EOS 1Ds, EOS 1n, EOS T2i D-SLR, EOS 1n (HS), EOS A2E(2), Olympus E-3 DSLR, E30 & E-510 DSLRs, Olympus digital FL50 flash, Canon F1 (old) + four interchangeable finders, EOS 28-70 f2.8 "L", EOS 70-200 f2.8 & f4 "Ls", EOS 430EZll digital flash, EOS 540EZ analog flash

The way a SO figures it, those beauty salon and shoe store expenses are on YOUR side of the ledger since, as she would be quick to remind you in the heat of an argument, that she does everything for you.
    So accounting the FSPA (Female Standard Principles of Accounting), you owe her a lot.

As for the shoes, she can easily justify them as vital "But they were so cute" which of course trumps logic every time.

Why do some men feel they have to get permission to spend some of their hard earned bucks on something they enjoy?? I've never understood the reasoning behind that. As long as I'm earning money and providing at least 1/2 of the household cost, then I spend it on whatever the hell I want to. She has the same luxury - it's her money. I don't just go and buy whatever and rack up debt, but if I want something and have the cash, then I go get it. I don't "have" to ask permission. Geez, grow some balls.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

No doubt. My money = my choice. Bitch can take a hike if she doesn't like that.
    Ouch.™

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Ah but CDI you can say that when you're miserable and single. When you're happily married, things become very different. If you do photography as a business (need not be your main business) as long as you can prove it's a legitimate business expense and not a luxury you can get it.