Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What camera shops in Raleigh think of Minolta

So I finally did enough Googling to find out we have _two_ camera stores here in Raleigh, besides Wolf and big box retailers.

I was fairly impressed with both places, and the big find of today is reflected in my signature... I found a beercan for $100, with crossed XX. So far, so good.

But what struck me was the reaction when I asked at each store if they had used Minolta gear. In both cases I talked to the person who must have been the owner, and both were super nice and helpful, but both kinda acted like Minolta was this beloved dead aunt or something. Neither one carries Sony because Sony doesn't deal as well with little guys as Canon and Nikon, but both indicated they would like to carry Sony gear. They talked about how great Minolta was, and how they wished they were still around.

Very funny, just wanted to share.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Well, I have it from another source that SONY is requiring a sunstantial amount of inventory buy-in before you can sport their logo. Personally, that's rather stupid, but I'm not running the business. If I were trying to make inroads into the market, I would not pressure the brick & mortar places in such a way, but they want those SONY Style stores to be the be all, end all for their mediocre marketing plan.

Nikon also forces a lot of allegiance to their product line, if you sell it also ... and insists on some serious upfront orders and you support their promotions .. and they will get back to you on the rebates. It's rather brutal for the retailers, to be sure. I know it turned my head away from buying a store.

Anyway, thanks for sharing just another confirmation of the lackluster and woeful support the camera line seems to have.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

And thats exactly what one of the guys said. They ask for three, and Sony says "pallets?" However he said once your in, they take care of you. Basically if he carried a few items, they would provide him with all sorts of goodies and display stuff.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Did you guys see where Sony style was doubling the value of gift cards of up to $100.00 If you bought a $100.00 gisft card at the mall and went to Sony style you got $200.00 for it, pretty sweet deal.......oh you couldn't use it on lenses, and only on one item purchase. I still wonder if sales and promotions don't even talk with people in products and supply?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Sales and promotions don't even talk with people, and the class of people doesn't need to be qualified. If they did, they would find out what people need and want. Which would make sales and promotions unnecessary.