Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, you could order them all ... then return those which don't do the job. Just like Christmas!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i've thought about this a bit lately but havent done anythjing about it. fact is they are never really in "storage". my least used lens' which are my 300/4 and my 14-24 are in a filing cabinet drawer inside the standard nikon cases. my other lens' are just sitting around the house within easy reach.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well ... the consideration is when you are "on the move" ... dragging you glass along with you,. to parties,
    shindigs, riots, floods, burning hotels, vacation wonderlands, tropical islands ... or perhaps, to your significant
    other's place.

Are your lenses ... exposed Or, are they safely protected from the elements, as it were?

I tell ya, all this rain we're having, today (middle of the winter-season, usually tall piles of snow ... uh, what's
    wrong with this picture?) Flooding everywhere! It got me to thinking: "How can you prepare for this type of
    change?" It's just too radical. Zero to Sixty degrees! In less than two days.

It's just not normal, I tell ya.

So, I ran out to snap a shot of this mess ... in the failing light of the evening ... I apologize for the image ...
    it's handheld ... in a storm ... 1.6 seconds ... f/3.5 ... and almost right in the middle of this image ... B&W thingy ...
    right next to the water (yeah, the neighbor's yard is a lake, again. We do not have waterfront property!) ...
    but, can you make it out?

Name:  flood-&-shunk.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  395.3 KB

Yeah ... that's a SKUNK! And he's not too happy about his house getting flooded out!

Here was the same shot, a few seconds earlier, w/ the HVL-F56AM flash ... rain appearing to be going up ...
    but, what you are really seeing is the streak of the flash dying away, as the drop falls. Weird illusion.

Name:  rain-falls-up.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  398.7 KB

All I can figure is the skunk was attracted to the flash and got in there, in the subsequent shot, while I was adjusting for
    a manual shot.

I'll try this shot, tomorrow , if the water hasn't soaked in, with some more light. That "rear lake" is impressively depressing.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-27-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well ... the consideration is when you are "on the move" ... dragging you glass along with you,. to parties,
    shindigs, riots, floods, burning hotels, vacation wonderlands, tropical islands ... or perhaps, to your significant
    other's place.

Are your lenses ... exposed Or, are they safely protected from the elements, as it were?.
    ahh..as opposed to storage you mean. moving around i have 3 bags and choose which one depending on the shoot.

1. a small dslr pouch for the 16-85, a prime and the sb400
    2. a lowepro flipside for the 300/4, (or 14-24), TC17, 105VR, primes
    3. a lowepro computrekker for when i want to carry the lot.

if i've got my gear in a bag i never have them in any pouches cos its too much of a PITA to get em out. the bag has enuf protection. i carry my strobes on my belt in their standard pouches so i can get easy access if i need em.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I admit, there are times that the pouches just won't fit right, especially around the bigger guns. Then, I beef up the separator pads and make it a nice, snug fit for everything. Anyway ... let's hear from the newbies ... what are you all doing?

flickr & Sdi

can someone please post a link or tell me where to look for a case for my 18-250 lens. i cant seem to find one that will work.
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

It fits quite nicely inside a TAMRAC MX5375 (<- click on link) or a LowePro Lens Case 1 (<- click on link) ... which both will handle other lenses of this type, also (Tamron 17-35, 17-50, 28-75, 28-300)

I use the LowePro Lens Case 1S for the KM or SONY 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. It's pretty tight for any other regular zoom.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-28-2008 at 02:26 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Sean,

I ordered a LowePro LC5 lens case for the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens, to replace the basic zippered, shoulder-strap-only case that TAMRON provided. The latter just is not secure enough (padded or pack strapped) for my tastes and I figure the lens cost enough, I prefer to take good care of it. I mean it provides adequate protection, here at the house, but lugging the lens around, at the airshow ... it was ... well, questionable, and that was a minimal impact environment. It has no outer straps, other than the shoulder strap, making it kind of dicey to strap on to anything else. The lens is heavy and because the case is made of that slippery, no mark material, it can squirt right out of a bungee strap, as you walk along.

Name:  200-500-tamron-case.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  229.1 KB
    Original TAMRON Lens Case

Like I may have mentioned, earlier, I can hide the lens inside the Tamrac Velocity 9 Bag (Model Number 5769), but by having the added security of the LowePro LC5, I can now easily strap it securely to the sides of the backpacks or the smaller Velocity 8 sling bag. It also provides a belt strap, to wear it like a side-arm. LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2009 at 02:45 AM.

flickr & Sdi

How protective are those Sony drawstring bags? I've seen them on Amazon for fairly cheap.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    How protective are those Sony drawstring bags? I've seen them on Amazon for fairly cheap.
    As a weather wrap? Not! They, basically, keep the lenses from dinging into each other, in the backpack. My CZ 135mm f/1.8 (all metal outside, even the lens hood) sits comfortably in one of those and that is not a lens I would usually keep on the outside of the bag, anyway. It is similar to a leatherized-neoprene bag, with a lightly-padded (2mm) hard, flat bottom.

flickr & Sdi