Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minolta 24-105

Bad news! Good customer relations by Sony though.

dr4gon - I really did NOT get any use out of it, to be honest. It was "unusable" for clear shots ... the darn "kit" lens was working better. Anyway ... let it be said, I took a chance I had not counted on, by trusting in a resale from a reputable dealer. I got burned. If SONY had not been good enough to buy this piece back ... I do not even want to think about how grim it could have gotten from there.

Personally, I do not want to see anyone else go through this and that is precisely why I am after "the list." Apparently, unlike SONY and others (who will remain nameless), I want the SONY DSLR collective to know where they stand in regards to getting older glass repaired. If it cannot be, then you need to know, as a buyer, you are taking a chance in purchasing it.

Anyway ... we shall see what comes forth ... as my request has been submitted.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    dr4gon - I really did NOT get any use out of it, to be honest. It was "unusable" for clear shots ... the darn "kit" lens was working better. Anyway ... let it be said, I took a chance I had not counted on, by trusting in a resale from a reputable dealer. I got burned. If SONY had not been good enough to buy this piece back ... I do not even want to think about how grim it could have gotten from there.

Personally, I do not want to see anyone else go through this and that is precisely why I am after "the list." Apparently, unlike SONY and others (who will remain nameless), I want the SONY DSLR collective to know where they stand in regards to getting older glass repaired. If it cannot be, then you need to know, as a buyer, you are taking a chance in purchasing it.

Anyway ... we shall see what comes forth ... as my request has been submitted.
    Oh I see, sorry to hear that. This is kinda one of the reasons I try to stay away from the used minolta lenses. Especially the non-standard (not as popular I mean) zooms. I would stick with the primes if they are a good deal and are still being remade by Sony.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

A secondhand lens is OK if you're careful and pay a sensible price.
    B&H would presumably have given a refund if that had been needed.
    Even on eBay a good seller will put things right and, if the seller incorrectly describes the lens then eBay will put it right providing you used PayPal. I use eBay quite a bit and find most people as honourable as I am, but you can get bitten. The worst thing is that some people are prepared to pay silly money for a secondhand item. Don't be one of them and there are bargains to be had.
    At the end of the day most lens problems only require cleaning or adjustment. If the lens is physically broken, don't buy it. If you broke it, speak to your insurers.
    Having said that, I just bought a broken lens so I can repair another.

Peek ... I think you might have missed the point in this conversation ... perhaps it is that I am a little too close to it, so forgive me if I misconstrued what you seem to have misconstrued.

My contention is not so much that the lens needed adjustment. That I was willing to live with, based on the amount I paid for it. What got me was that SONY would NOT repair it at any cost! The lens was no longer supported. Although I did not know it at the time I sent it off for what I assumed was some "adjustment" by the depot, it wound up needing PARTS! That shifted this whole deal into another realm.

What I am trying to do is WARN people problems they may run into by buying used lenses that no longer are PARTS SUPPORTED by SONY. Forewarned is forearmed. It has nothing to do with the quality of the lens itself, just the potential service you may eventually encounter should you drop it, maul it, the dog has it as a snack ... whatever!

I'm sharing this experience as a lesson learned. It certainly was not intentional or anything I did, other than buy the lens. Let's leave it at that.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

No, I got that Don. And I agree that buying second hand is always a risk, so don't pay over the odds and make sure that the lens works as intended (or can get a refund) before you buy.
    Usually, it's adjustment rather than parts that are needed. If the lens gets broken after that by accident rather than mechanical failure you're insured, aren't you? If it's old age, well, that's the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I, today, received an email from the local repair facility, concerning the disposition of my aforementioned malfunctioning K-M AF 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 "D" lens

In a nutshell: SONY has agreed to buy-back the lens from me (this one time), since they will not repair it, as it it not on a list of "repairable lenses" they are now supporting.

I know what you are thinking: "What list of repairable lenses?"

My contention is that the only way you can NOW buy a Minolta (or Konica-Minolta) lens is buying it "USED." There are, for all intents and purposes, no "NEW" ones out there, any longer.

Apparently, from what I was recently advised of, when SONY bought the Camera Division of Konica-Minolta, they did NOT buy it all. Some reductions were made ... and hence, the alleged "LIST OF NON-SUPPORTED GLASS" ... because, all the parts necessary to support those additional lenses was not purchased. It has simply "vanished" when the Camera Division of Konica-Minolta was sold off (it does leave one to wonder ... "where is all that repair inventory and stuff?"

It's just weird how you find these things out. No bulletin, no news ... just situational awareness and lost time.

Anyway ... I have asked for a copy of this "LIST", in order to publish it online, so the rest of the readership can avoid this "crystalline-buying-nightmare." Until then, watch out what you are buying ... as many Minolta (or K-M) lenses have hit the proverbial "end of the line." Arguably, this lens was not one I would have anticipated having a problem with, since SONY still makes it with their branding. Must be one weird part involved.
    ....I just happened on to this post and I have to say this is getting interesting....any news on the "List" from Sony?

See here

With regard to this thread the 24-105 F/4

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42827
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

SONY would not let go of "the list", but I did finally get my check, today, to cover the cost of the lens. Man, nothing ever moves with lightspeed in the world of camera manufacturer's, that's for sure.

Anyway, it goes into the honey pot for new glass. Another $256 to the good.

At least it was a complete loss ... just a side-step of three months, on the path to en"light"enment.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-13-2009 at 04:54 PM.

flickr & Sdi

The Tamron rebates were fast
    flickr