Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minolta 24-105

Minolta 24-105

I couldn't find a heck of a lot of input from you guys on this lens except in the Sarah Palin thread, where Don said he wasn't getting the best results. Judging from how terrible his results were in the test of the mid range zooms after that, and how strong the reviews are on dyxum, I'm thinking his copy is bad. I also saw it mentioned as one of the 3 kit lens replacement recommendations in another thread with a much more positive spin.

Camera Clearence Center on ebay (I think it's related to Wolf/Ritz Camera) has a "NEW-DEMO" for just over $200. With shipping and *SALES TAX* I will end up paying close to $225 for the lens.

My 35-70 was enough to convince me I need something with better IQ, and since I got my camera I have seen my aperture flashing enough to know I need something faster. This wouldn't be as fast as the 2.8 zooms, but would be a heck of a lot cheaper, and it seems like a very good range.

So first off, does anyone have any experience with this camera clearance center ebayer? The bottom of one page said "Copyright Wolf Camera" and they said they charge sales tax in most states because they have stores in most states, so I expect this is Wolf.
    Second, any ideas on this warranty claim? They claim that it is a "NEW-DEMO" and is new with box and accessories, but has been opened, and that it still has a manufacturers warranty. Will Sony service the lens if I have any trouble with it, or does Minolta still handle those warranties, or will it be void?
    And finally, and most importantly, what is the quality like on this lens. I think I have come to terms with the loss on the wide end compared to the kit lens, but does this seem like a strong enough IQ improvement to put the money into? It's tough with a baby on the way and the economy sliding to convince my better half that it's worth spending $400+ on a lens after we just spent so much on a camera, flash, tripod, case, etc.

Thanks for any input. And there are apparently 4 available if anybody else wants one, just don't take all of them!
    Last edited by laydros; 12-25-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Well, mine is still out for service. It had to go to a "secondary" depot for repair, due to lack of parts. I am "afeared" that something had gotten broken in mine. I'll let you know $160 later, when it comes back from the repair center.

You know, when you DROP a lens .. don't sell it to someone else. That is despicable behavior and most people that do that .. wind up in H*LL ... I've seen them there, when I occasionally visit.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    My 35-70 was enough to convince me I need something with better IQ, and since I got my camera I have seen my aperture flashing enough to know I need something faster. This wouldn't be as fast as the 2.8 zooms, but would be a heck of a lot cheaper, and it seems like a very good range................
    Define "better IQ" in relation to the 35-70mm?
    You know that f3.5 to f4 is one third of a stop. That's pactically nothing and hardly a valid reason to prefer a lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Define "better IQ" in relation to the 35-70mm?
    You know that f3.5 to f4 is one third of a stop. That's pactically nothing and hardly a valid reason to prefer a lens.
    Better than the kit lens.

I really like the 35-70, but it's not realistically a very good walk around replacement because of the focal range. I knew this when I bought it, and knew it wouldn't be able to outright replace my 18-70 kit lens.

Many people here use the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as their walkaround lens, but I'm hoping the 24-105 could serve that purpose for me without costing quite so much. I have been pretty disappointed with the sharpness I have seen on many of my shots out of the 18-70.

I realize the 24-105 won't be a heck of a lot faster than the kit lens for low light but I think I'm trying to take a few too many in the dark.
    Last edited by laydros; 12-26-2008 at 05:30 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Of the points I picked out of your post, "betterIQ", "faster aperture" and "good range", only the latter will be served by the 24-105mm.

You wrote; "My 35-70 was enough to convince me I need something with better IQ".
    The IQ on the Minolta 24-105mm is similar to the Minolta 35-70mm; if anything, the 35-70 is overall a bit sharper.

You wrote; "I need something faster". You won't get it with the 24-105mm.

If you're serious about what you said, then the only recommendation is: "Don't buy it". If you're going to shell out for a lens, you'd better know why otherwise save up for what you do need.

From my own standpoint, I have always been very happy with the IQ of the 35-70mm and the 35-105 (never had the 24-105mm). The 28-135mm is absolutely outstanding. Have a look at these pictures taken by various users of the 35-75mm ..... http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11476 ... and see what you think.

No, I'm totally happy with the IQ of the 35-70. This would be to replace the 18-70 kit lens, not the 35-70.

I expect the 35-70 will stay with me whereever I go. But it's just a bit too long on APS to use as an everyday walk around lens.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

That makes more sense then. Sorry I misunderstood your post.

Jason ...

Just for grins ... you may want to head out to the store and pop a 18-250 on your camera and just see what it can do for you. Indoors, the 28-75 or 17-50 are compelling and kind of hard to beat. If it weren't for the multiple PRIMEs I own, they'd probably be mounted a whole lot more.

It is kind of a rare occasion were I reach into the camera bag and pull out the UWA to take shots ... so the 10-20/24mm range is more of a luxury than a necessity for most folks. Although, if you have all the other ranges well covered ... it is a logical "next step."

I was looking at your signature ... no 50mm f/1.7 yet? That will probably be the lens that will provide you the widest range of indoor compositions for the most reasonable cost. It also is quite tiny, so you can easily "pocket" it, for a quick lens substitution.

Good luck in figuring it out, but you do have some good advice from the bunker!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-26-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah, after sleeping on it last night I realized the next thing I should pick up is a 50 1.7. That will give me some better options indoors, and I can see how I feel about a prime. I actually talked to someone at a camera shop today, and he said he can probably find one for me, so I'm waiting to hear back on that.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Well, I got word back from the repair center, on my 24-105mm and they are telling me that SONY said that it is "too old to fix" and "they do not have parts."

Man, I was floored ... this is a K-M AF 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 "D" lens ... they still produce it with a SONY brand, now. What gives? Too old? I think not.

If anything, I should be offered a trade-in value for it and they send me the new one, for the difference. Anyway, I'm having that explored and am waiting for a response. This is pretty tragic and leads me to say avoid buying old glass in need of ANY repair. It just may not happen. There has to be a life expectancy in excess of ten years for this stuff, otherwise ... this is going to get real expensive, real soon. C'mon, how many 24-105mm do you think they have fixed in the past ten years? I'd like to see the numbers and would really like to know what happened to all the spares.

If SONY keeps this up ... they will lose my business. Durability is important with this kind of machine. I need to know I can get my glass fixed ... every time!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-13-2009 at 09:27 PM.

flickr & Sdi