Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Santa's been to our house and those HINTS worked a little too well. TWO F58's!!!!
    So what now, sell one (bad form really) or ????

Merry Christmas all
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

Cool Cooooold Christmas Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Don weather is strange eh, you are west of me, weather mostly travels west to east more or less, those damn great lakes have a bit to do with it. last night we had a good dose of freezing rain, was a mess this morning but hey by 10:30 it warmed up and was raining, got to like 53 degrees here, nice and windy and raining here yet at 8:30, no snow for us till maybe Friday!
    We had a 0-degree F Christmas wake up. No new snow or anything, but frozen solid sidewalks and crunchy, icy snowtops. Salt does not work below 17-degrees ... just kind of sits there and looks at the ice. There is a significant warm up and we're looking at 55F on Saturday! Well, whatever ... it's better than freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Santa's been to our house and those HINTS worked a little too well. TWO F58's!!!!
    So what now, sell one (bad form really) or ????
    Trade one in and get the 28-75mm f/2.8 or 17-50 f/2.8 you know you are looking forward to. Of course, there is always the 18-250mm "do it all" lens, too ... OR trade them BOTH in and get a heck of a down payment on the CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 ... if you are so inclined. Lotsa options, but two flashes of that kind is a little much. Oh, such decisions!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-25-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Image straightening

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    Okay, with this image .. I brightened it up a bit (I may have been a little too aggressive, here), to bring out the lad ... against the well-lit tree with a WB-shift and some "curve" adjustments. "Fill flash" would have helped enormously in this instance, because of the back lighting. Then, to compensate for the parallax (leaning pole syndrome} between the column and the border ... and the floor board along the wall, I distorted the image ... which effectively straightened the tree to a little more vertical orientation.

Name:  DSC01461-1 millz-adj.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  121.5 KB

Actually, the tree was the "center of focus", so the lad was slightly OOF. I tried picking him up a little with sharpening ... so I apologize for not being able to completely stabilize him. It's closer. You need to focus on his face, "focus lock" (half-press the shutter), then turn the camera back to the center of the tree and complete the shot (full press w/o letting up). Oh, and use fill flash. ... even a broad flash light would work, due to color temps. If you do use fill flash, in a case like this, use an amber GEL over it ... to get rid of the white balance gap.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-25-2008 at 08:39 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

fill flash????? little more explanation please thanks for goofing with the pic it was more of just showing the tree but i like advice so please explain the fill flash how to do
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

Fill flash is used to expose just the subject, when you are not concerned about the background needing light. It usually is a subtle pop to illuminate the subject to eliminate that silhouette-effect you get from back lighting.

Imagine a brief pulse of light ... that reflects just off the lad. I have tried to "simulate" the effect by brightening him in this shot. Obviously, it is suppose to be subtle and probably why you have not noticed it, in the past.

This is just an idea of what it might provide (only change made to your original image) ...

Name:  DSC01461-1 millz-fill.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  89.8 KB

You have probably seen "flash burn" from the pop-up flash, where the subject is so overly illuminate, there is hardly any definition left to their face. You do have a degree of control over the pop-up with flash compensation. An external flash usually gives you even more control over the flash exposure.

So, let's start with this shot. You shoot it and recognize the the lad is not very well illumated. He's in shadow. You then lift the pop-up for a "fill-flash" and try again. Now, he's blown out ... and looking awful pale. So, with Flasgh Compensation ... you adjust the flash down a tad ... say 1EV ... and try again. Hey, he's looking less pale. Another EV ... and take another ... he's looking better. Background is not washed out .. he's well illuminated ... you have done about all you can with that equipment. Does this help?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-25-2008 at 08:38 AM.

flickr & Sdi

so with my f42 flash how do i do this same thing didnt realize you could adjust it. Do you try and bounce the flash or point directly at him when i took pic of him with the tree with flash it lit the whole tree and washed out all the lights i use my external flash mostly
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

Well, since you are turning the camera, towards the tree, in this case, the flash will be directed that way. This is where that little "foot" that came with your flash comes in handy.

Name:  flash-foot.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  100.9 KB

Using the user manual instructions for how to operate the '42 flash "wirelessly", you would get it ready ... then place it about five feet away from the lad ... pointed at him ... and then do the shot. First, focusing on him, ... locking the focus (half-press) and then turning the camera towards the tree and completing the shot.

"FLASH!" ... he gets his exposure and the tree is unaffected. Don't forget that amber gel, either. Then he won't look icy BLUE.

We're not taking "snap-shots", anymore. Your moving up! You have the equipment, what say we put it to work?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-25-2008 at 08:52 AM.

flickr & Sdi