Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Camera for still shots and video interviews/tx-1 alternatives?

Hey- basically need a camera for taking still shots for my blog and doing video interviews as well. I was looking at the powershot tx1 but its a bit over my price range, although I'd be willing to go towards that if that seems to be the consensus of what I need. Is there anything similar? Has anyone used it because reviews imply its very awkward. Is it a deal breaker for what I'm looking for?

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    $300 but willing to spend a bit more for the perfect fit.
    Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Small as possible.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 5

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) 3-4x is enough, although more is better.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 5

Do you care for manual controls? no

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

As stated above- taking shots for my blog and video interviews for it as well.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Most likely

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

No

Miscellaneous

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon Powershot TX-1

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Image stabilization is very important! I have shaky hands.

Also- I'm not stuck on the tx-1's form factor, although it seems like it'd be easier to take steady shots with.

I do OK with Canon SD770IS and SD850IS for video. The IS helps greatly if I'm trying to hold still. It doesn't help so much, and may even hinder a bit, if I'm moving or panning to follow a subject.

When I need extra stability, I'll use a string tension monopod (basically, stand on a string, attach the other end to the bolt plugged into the camera's tripod mount) or bipod (as before, but use a loop of string and employ both feet). That may be offputting to your interview subject, however. The IS doesn't fight this, like it would if I left it on while shooting from a real tripod, and I get good results for both video and stills.

The video is still mjpeg, though, on my cameras. Others can provide more modern (higher visual quality and smaller file sizes) video streams.

The Sony T500 seems to have excellent video and takes pretty good still shots as well.

See http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...yber-shot+t500
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries