Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Eye

Red Eye

Canon XSi Rebel

How do I remove red-eye for free? Photos already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrown1991 View Post
    Canon XSi Rebel

How do I remove red-eye for free? Photos already taken.
    You are in luck, there are many sophisticated image eidting programs that are either Open Source or freeware. The most feature laden it called GIMP and it can be found at http://www.gimp.org/
    There is a modified version for people who want their editor to look and feel more like PhotoShop called GimpShop at http://www.gimpshop.com/index.shtml

Since GimpShop is a modification it might be slightly behind in version numbers from GIMP.

PhotoShop plug-in effects do not work in Gimp but there is a whole array of builtin and add-in filters and effects such that almost anything you want to do with an image processor is available....and free.

Also, don't forget Canon's free editor that comes with every Canon DSLR DPP which can be downloaded from Canon's web site for free if you misplaced your CD packed with the camera. GIMP does a lot more of the fancy stuff however. DPP is fast and has many cool features for batch processing and working with RAW image files.

Happy editing

"Also, don't forget Canon's free editor that comes with every Canon DSLR DPP which can be downloaded from Canon's web site for free if you misplaced your CD packed with the camera. GIMP does a lot more of the fancy stuff however. DPP is fast and has many cool features for batch processing and working with RAW image files."

--

Where? I have it installed and looked, but I didn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by stanj View Post

........Also, don't forget Canon's free editor that comes with every Canon DSLR DPP which can be downloaded from Canon's web site for free if you misplaced your CD packed with the camera. GIMP does a lot more of the fancy stuff however. DPP is fast and has many cool features for batch processing and working with RAW image files.

Happy editing
    Don't know about GIMP, but I don't know of where in DPP you can do red-eye removal. Secondly the "DPP" download from Canon is only an upgrade and the original of any version needs to have been installed prior to using the upgrade. There are some tricks that supposedly can be done to use an upgrade, but may require more knowledge of tweaking PC files than the average user typically has.

To the OP: Try taking a look at http://picasa.google.com/ . It has some basic editing tools including red-eye and is "free". I haven't tried it for red-eye removal, but some of the other features work fairly well.
    Last edited by Mark_48; 12-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Irfanview removes red eye and is free. It's my program of choice.

Oh, I love Irfanview. I used to it to make heightmaps for RTS games. I didn't know it could do red-eye.

Thanks, everyone.

Will any of these do batch-process?

-----

Canon DPP is for RAW only. I only have JPEG..
    Last edited by jrbrown1991; 12-20-2008 at 04:41 PM.

As an absolutely stupid question, why did my photos have ALOT of red-eye, when my camera was set red-eye to on? I take it that on doesn't mean Reduction On?

From Jeff's review of the XSi:

"Like the last Canon D-SLR I reviewed (the 40D), the Rebel XSi has a bit of redeye problem. That's surprising, considering how far up the flash "pops", but I think it's more a factor of the relatively anemic redeye reduction lamp. While your results may vary, don't be caught off guard if this annoyance ends up in some of your people pictures. Unlike most of the competition, there's no redeye removal tool on the XSi."

I guess the XSi's pop-up flash doesn't strobe enough to constrict the pupils. So, short of buying an external flash, there isn't much you can do while shooting. However, one ghetto-fabulous thing that I have done to try to reduce red eye as much as possible is to strobe the pop-up flash a few times (hit the flash release button) to try to shrink down those pupils. However, it can be annoying to those you are shooting!

But as others have said, it's easy enough to remove post-process.
    Last edited by GoneTomorrow; 12-20-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 35mm/1.4L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 135mm/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

I have over 100 pictures, any batch process programs that work with jpeg?

DPP does work with jpg files, it is not just for RAW.

Red-Eye is easily taken care of in DPP, there is no automatic function which is fine because many of the automatic red-eye reduction routines leave the iris looking flat and lifeless with no control.

Hit Ctrl+"S" for the Stamp tool and select a color, apply Brush set to Defuse effect preferably in the photograph zoom in on the iris to paint out the offending color. Use the Stamp tool again to capture the catch light from the unprocessed eye and paint it into the eye you are processing. Do the same for the other eye. The results will be more realistic than the automatic functions, It takes but a couple seconds.

For those not familar with GIMP, it is a major Open Source project that is a community written and supported free PhotoShop-like very versatile image editor with many add-in and extensions, all free, and all with great community support that commercial products could not match.
    Although both Gimp and DPP have advanced Batch processing functions, something such as Red-eye removal ought to be done individually to get the best results, since many of the auto functions in various programs are heavy handed.