Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The contest that almost was!!!

The wife setup one of our Christmas trees. Took this two shot pano with the 50mm lens. This was taken hand held with flash.
    Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

would've been fun

I might have entered something too.. like from my new Tam 18-250.
    Hey, collages are nice, and easy, in Picasa 3!

JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

The tree is up.
    Frank

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Yipee! "Christmas is a comin', Christmas is..." that Coke ad.

Red face Build your own shot!

I am actually still putting together my "Christmas shot" ... quite literally.

Name:  project1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  project2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  88.2 KB

I suppose you all can guess what it is ... Yeah, a "WIP" (work in progress)!

Tomorrow's & Thursday's tasks:
    • Drill Press 7/8"-holes in PVC poles/stakes (for ease of setting in ground with removable solid-steel cross peg)
    • Epoxy stake connections (and let cure) in PVC poles (that should hold 'em)
    • Drill holes in top of PVC caps and insert and epoxy 3" long-1/2" thick carriage bolts
    • Drill the 4-corner angled-holes into upper wooden section
    • Epoxy washers top and bottom to penetrations to steel-reinforce connecting points in upper wooden section
    • "Rubber-coat" exposed steel connections to reduce wind-noise and protect from weather
    • Do basic construction for alignments and drilling of "connection points" in PVC poles.
    • Urethane all wooden surfaces for weather-protection
    • Paint PVC poles to color match "urethaned" wood
    • Insert connecting points in PVC poles ... and Epoxy to prevent loosening
    • Screw in connection hooks in wooden sections
    • Do final test assembly
    • Transport to final site for erection and evaluation of additional lighting (if necessary)
    • Photograph final layout and submit to DCRP thread (most important part of the effort )

The lumber yard left all this rough cedar wood outdoors and it was covered in ice, when I brought it in, this afternoon. I sure hope it all dries out enough to urethane it. Anyway, I probably missed some incidentals ... but, this short list should take care of most of what lies ahead.

And you thought you were busy for your "Christmas shot" ...

BTW: The tree is up ... but, only half lit. Lost the end of a cord somewhere in there ... but, first things first, right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-09-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool So it goes ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Tomorrow's & Thursday's tasks:

Drill Press 7/8"-holes in PVC poles/stakes (for ease of setting in ground with removable solid-steel cross peg)
    Forget that nonsense ... PVC shatters like glass if you drill it too big. 7/8" is just too big a bite out of 1-1/2" PVC! Time for a new approach to this issue.

Epoxy stake connections (and let cure) in PVC poles (that should hold 'em)
    Newsflash: Epoxy does not bind with PVC! Once dry, makes a nice water-proof seal, but PVC just pulls apart. Need to use PVC Cement, which literally melts the PVC together ... and you'd need to hacksaw it apart.

Drill holes in top of PVC caps and insert and epoxy 3" long-1/2" thick carriage bolts
    This actually worked, but only because the Epoxy literally bonded the steel bolt like a flange through the hole. It's holding and I'm not complaining

Drill the 4-corner angled-holes into upper wooden section
    This was rough to estimate and the holes need a little touch up.

- Epoxy washers top and bottom to penetrations to steel-reinforce connecting points in upper wooden section
    - "Rubber-coat" exposed steel connections to reduce wind-noise and protect from weather
    - Do basic construction for alignments and drilling of "connection points" in PVC poles.
    Done!

Getting that roof section up from and out of the basement was a real strategic effort ... extraordinarily tight, being in excess of eight feet long and five feet wide, with about one-inch (or less) of clearance, held at an angle ... but hey, it's out in one piece ... and no gouges in the ceiling or the walls! Yes! (Honestly though ... I could not have cut it any closer. )

The remaining "To-Did" List
    • Urethane all wooden surfaces for weather-protection
    • Paint PVC poles to color match "urethaned" wood
    • Insert connecting points in PVC poles ... use "Lock-Tite" prevent loosening
    • Screw in connection hooks in wooden sections
    • Do final test assembly
    • Transport to final site for erection and evaluation of additional lighting (if necessary)
    • Photograph final layout and submit to DCRP thread (most important part of the effort )
    I am beginning to think the PVC may not have the structural strength to support this thing, especially in this frosty weather ... and I'm reconsidering galvanized pipe and perhaps shortening the front by a foot in height (from 6' to 5'). Problem is that galvanized is about five times heavier than PVC and just murder to drill through ... and it may even be dangerous for children to work with, once I release the structure. Kind of puts a whole new face on the entire project. Problem stems from the intense winds that occur where this will be located. Even with extra cable tethers and auger stakes ... the current PVC just may not have the sheer durability to last the season.

2x4 studs have some merit, but wood rots after time ... and the structural support is not where I want that to occur. Sure, you could replace it, I suppose, but that kind of where this all started. The galvanized pipes seem so much cleaner ... easier to set (almost like tent poles) and will not suffer from the weather.

Tomorrow is another day!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-10-2008 at 11:03 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don You can get galvanized pipe one size smaller and slide it inside the PVC that is how they do it with the railings down here.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Makes sense ... but, that certainly won't make it any lighter ... LOL ... although, at this point, is a serious consideration. I had actually considered "doubling up" (one inside the other) the PVC (for ease of drilling) ... but, it still lacks that cold resistance. I know, in my heart, it's probably going to "snap" with enough force applied ... so perhaps this would be the way to go ... (<- looking thoughtful, as Andy likes to say).

Thanks for the suggestion, Frank. Good job!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-11-2008 at 06:33 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Okay, Frank ... I did try a couple of things with your suggestion. First off ... it may be nice to know that 1-1/4" PVC or Galvanized will NOT fit inside of 1-1/2" PVC. The O.D. (outer diameter) of the 1-1/4" pipe is actually a tiny bit larger than the I.D. (inner diameter) and the 1-1/4" pipe is not going to slip in there as far as I can figure. I suppose I could split the PVC, but that kind of defeats the integrity aspect.

1-1/2" PVC and galvanized pipe does fit inside 2" PVC, though ... but, there is a significant gap remaining. For my use, that's probably okay, but this total scraps the previous 1-1/2" PVC poles I made and I am starting fresh ... along with the associated drilling, tomorrow. Arrgh ... the things I do for charity. LOL Some values never die ... but these "projects" are killin' me.

The stakes fit in the galvanized, too ... I just have to find a way to secure them. I suppose I could just leave them able to separate, as long as I use the tie-down augers in the set up. And yes, they are pretty heavy.

The urethane coat of the wood is complete, except for some touch up on the edges. ... but, I lost a good part of the day to doing this "galvanized-upgrade." Oh, it had to happen, but it took two hours to finally get the proper pipe length cut. Everyone is cutting back on available in-store stock and I actually had to go to TWO separate stores to get four pieces of pipe! Strange days. Bought a "COBALT" bit and it easily bored through the pipe, so the holes are done, too.

I elected to eliminate the PVC sleeve idea (man, i have lots of tubing, now) and went with "Dutch Boy" outdoor acryllic paint, instead, roughly the same color as the wooden panels. Two coats and it is looking good.

Looks like it will be Saturday to finally get this put in, as the temperature should be a little warmer. We are currently at 14 F. Saturday looks like 38 F and raining. Hopefully, softer ground to get this placed. Then I can get MY "holiday shot."

How about the rest of you dudes? Let's see something festive!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-14-2008 at 05:13 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Only hours away, now!

Well, Saturday came and went ... and the thermometer is rising! It is supposely getting to 52F, today, and it's raining! Yes! Perfect. (Who would have thought I would have wanted rain? Strange days, indeed.)

Today is the day .... that the Lord has made ... and this upcoming shot, only hours away, should be a testiment to that very thing. I'm ready to pound sand, as it were, and get this thing up and workin'. A place for the Savior. I suppose if Obama still needs a place to stay (since the "Blair House" is occupied), if it were good enough for the First Savior ... well, ...

With the help of some contractors, my son's Eagle Project put in the church's new walkway and handicap entry ramp, about two years ago.

Name:  Church-Entry-Project.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  304.9 KB

It seems we are basically providing the entire entry, this season! (Holiday Images, hopefully, to follow )

The weather is doing things I have never seen before ... a truly serious warm spike, today, and then a serious plunge back to the arctic cold to follow. A real "wind-test", also ... gusts up to 40mph. A window of opportunity, basically timed perfectly for this effort. Things are moving in mysterious ways. Perhaps I may get a better shot if I just wait for the REAL weather to blow in ... I won't be waiting long, that's for sure.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-14-2008 at 05:32 AM.

flickr & Sdi