Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lens Recommendations?

I would like to get new a lens for my boyfriend for Christmas. He has a Sony Alpha DSLR-A100. He is an amateur photographer, and bought the camera maybe a year ago. He has no other lenses- just the one that the camera came with. I have no idea where to begin.

Does it have to be a Sony lens? If not, what other lenses are good/work on this type of camera? What kind of lens would you recommend- telephoto?

Any & all suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Well, since you are only buying a single lens ... I suppose covering ALL bases might be good for the first lens. I would recommend two, but they are basically the same.

TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    {<- Click on link) (save a $100 and get 6-yr warranty)

or

SONY AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DT (<- Click on link)

Both lenses will provide most of the coverage you could use for taking almost everything. It will require the use of flash, indoors, but most lens do, unless you start spending serious money.

Anyway, this is probably the "best bang for the buck" I can think of for the SONY DSLR.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-18-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

What's your budget like?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

DonSchap- thank you for the recommendations & advice.

dr4gon- looks like it might not be possible, but I was hoping to spend around $200 or $300.

Well, you could go with a handy telephoto, to compliment his 18-70mm "kit lens"

That would be the TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD (<- Click on link) lens. It sells for around $150 and seems to turn out reasonable work. Most of the members on the SONY DSLR forum have this lens and have done well with it. It gives you that much needed range, outdoors. Try and get a 62mm Hoya Circular Polarizer (<- click on link) filter with it. That should meet your budget and provide you with a big thanks!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-18-2008 at 09:01 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sure it is. He will be more than happy with this telephoto. I think it would make an excellent gift!

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens - @ Amazon by cameta camera (although may not arrive before Christmas?)

Or maybe he'd like a flash for some nice portraits

Sony HVL-F42AM - list price is $299 Buy.com
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thumbs up G.m.t.a.

"Great minds think alike", eh? LOL Way to go, Dr4gon!

@Aklama ... also look through this link for some ideas on improving your boyfriend's photography. It was written for just such a question.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-18-2008 at 09:11 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Thank you both SO MUCH! I will definitely be looking into your recommendations more closely. I am very grateful for your help & expertise. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by aklama View Post
    Thank you both SO MUCH! I will definitely be looking into your recommendations more closely. I am very grateful for your help & expertise. Thanks again!
    No problem, glad to help. Merry Christmas!
    flickr

I'd agree with the above. If he is happy with the amount of zoom he can get right now, a flash will be the best benefit in that price range. It will let him get sharper images inside, and less shadows outside.

However if he is into wildlife or sports photography, the zoom lens will give the camera a bit more reach, which is a lot of fun.

And if you go for the zoom lens get the Tamron 75-300, not the Sony. The Sony costs more and doesn't provide images that are as good as the Tamron.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr