Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool The A700 ... remote control from your PC

One of the cooler aspects of the α700, that I did not have with the α100 was ...

"Lower Noise!" 'Rooz' quickly points out.

Heh, heh ... Uh, yeah, but, also the capability to directly control your camera from the PC, through the USB connection with the included software. The beauty of this, while not being actively capable of seeing through the viewfinder, from the PC, you can still autofocus and take images at various settings without having to get up and down, from your PC ... I like that. I am not a kid, anymore, although I have one on TV.

I find this tremendously helpful while working some distance from the camera .... up to 12 twelve feet, and working on a subject or subject matter. Unlike just using a remote shutter release ... you can use either your PC or laptop, just out of frame ... and play with white balance, exposure, aperture, DRO ... and several other important aspects of your shot. Then, with a click of the mouse ... results!

While using short lens, the trip is not usually that far, using a 135mm on a APS-C sensor ... we can be talking 10-20 feet or even more. The constant UP & DOWN can be truly exhausting, after a few hours of work.

So for no extra cost ... your arms and legs get a bit longer. If they start piping LiveView out, in the next version ... ah technology, huh?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I have also found this extremely useful, mostly in studio. The camera display is not exactly a color calibrated monitor and having a laptop or desktop monitor attached to the camera is very helpful. With controlled lighting, a few tweaks here and there, you can produce exceptional JPG images without having to do post process.

Great point to bring up, Don!
    A.J.

Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you!

yeah it's a pretty cool feature i suppose if you were that way inclined. personally i found it a bit of a pain in the ass and quite cumbersome to be honest. but if you shoot studio alot it'd probably come in handy. i think that sort of stuff is really only the tip of the iceberg for what will be coming our way over the next couple of years.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Doesn't Canon have a camera out that can send the images wireless to a printer?

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Frank I know some of the P&S cameras have that ability. I do not know if they have added it to any SLRs yet.

One reason I initially leaned toward the XS or XSI was the great computer control. I didn't know that the A700 had it until yesterday when I was loading the Sony software on a PC and bumped into the remote software, which prompted me to look it up. I haven't tried much studio stuff yet, but it seems like it could be quite handy.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Talking When you have it all ...

Hey guys ... I really am trying to keep the ball rolling, here. There are aspects to the α700 that you just cannot get with the rest of them. That is precisely why I have recommended it as the DSLR to buy. It now is under a grand ... and how cool is that?

It truly is the culmination of all the best parts of SONY/Minolta DSLR photography. Oh sure, there a few extra bells and whistles in the α900, but no camera is as significant as the α700. Call it a "threshold shift" in your photography.

Good luck with YOURS!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wish I could install the software on my PC. It's not compatible with 64 bit Vista.

Is there not a 32-bit emulator that you can run older stuff with?

flickr & Sdi

There is for most things but not the Sony software.

Well, time to downgrade the OS to Win XP (32-bit). Oh, the answer was right there, huh? (if only)

flickr & Sdi