Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What SONY DSLR(s) do you own (click on all that apply)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • A100

6 37.50%
  • A200

1 6.25%
  • A300

4 25.00%
  • A350

2 12.50%
  • A700

5 31.25%
  • A900

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking New SONY DSLR users ... welcome!

I would like to take a moment and say "welcome" to all the new SONY DSLR users ... and invite you to participate in the discussion on this forum. One of the reasons this invitation is extended is to offer some insight into your new camera ... and perhaps get an idea of what you are "creating" in your own part of the world.

Currently, the SONY DSLR model line has the following cameras in it (although I do suspect, next year, there may be at least two more):
    • α100 (initial release DSLR - 10.2 APS-C sensor - discontinued)
    • α200 (current basic model - 10.2MP APS-C sensor)
    • α300 (basic model with LiveView - 10.2MP APS-C sensor)
    • α350 (Basic model with LiveView - 14.2MP APS-C sensor)
    • α700 (Advanced DSLR - 12.2MP APS-C sensor)
    • α900 (Flagship model DSLR - 24.6MP Full Frame sensor)

If you own one of these models and have a question, any advice or even just a picture to share ... join the forum and participate!

Hope to talk with you soon ... and see what you have been getting with your new camera. Don't be a stranger ... If you are "just visiting" ... take a moment and register. Jeff needs something to do, anyway!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-17-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Talking A polling place!

A poll has been added ... please participate.

Thanks
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I have a 700 and 350.

What prompted you to do that, Tom? That's an unusual mix.

flickr & Sdi

Welcome!

Probably had the 350 first, then got the 700
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I had a KM 5D that I traded for the 350. After a few months I decided that it wasn't that much of an upgrade so I got the the 700 to go with it. Mainly use the 700 now but still use the 350 when the live view comes in handy for shots at different angles.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

I'm still using the A100. Time I can afford an upgrade(d*mn economy) I'm sure a few more will have been discontinued.

Bodies are your FILM, so to speak. The better the body ... I think you get the idea.

The α700 is a good, solid APS-C body for almost all photography. That truly is its strength. The α900 is the Full Frame equivalent, plus a few other novelty items. Do not underestimate the power of built in anti-shake. It can save a lot of images, when lighting starts to go south and you do not have a tripod.

For those who have pted for the lower models, they are fine ... but just understand ... you can do a lot more things and get better results for an inital outlay of about $500 more in the budget, so please consider that when "body shopping."

The real bang is and will probably always be ... GLASS.

Consider:

BAD glass on a great camera -> crap for an image.

GOOD glass on a mediocre camera -> much better image than you can ever get from the above.

Anyway, that being said ... Ask, then buy. Don't buy, then ask! Eeek!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2009 at 12:06 PM.

flickr & Sdi

At the time I got mine the A100 was the only Sony out, plus I don't feel as if I
    have used the A100 to full potential, what every that may be. I'm the same type of guy that waited years before moving up from dial-up to high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts630 View Post
    At the time I got mine the A100 was the only Sony out, plus I don't feel as if I
    have used the A100 to full potential, what every that may be. I'm the same type of guy that waited years before moving up from dial-up to high speed.
    Gotten the full potential out of VHS yet? I'm kidding! Welcome! With broadband, you can upload pictures that much faster!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II